Is posterior birth what I think it is? OUCH??!

Watching 18 Kids and counting and she mentioned one of her daughter was a posterior birth...just want to hear stories and make sure I really understand what it is. Learning something new everyday!

lesjoiesdemaman

Asked by lesjoiesdemaman at 9:24 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• It means the baby is born facing up instead of down. It can produce what's called backach labor.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 9:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• means when your baby is positioned to deliver face-up.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Ooooh! Oops. I thought something else...my bad...
    lesjoiesdemaman

Answer by lesjoiesdemaman at 9:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My second started out posterior (We liked to call her "sunny side up") and it took lots of moving around and switching positions during labor to get her to turn. My midwife and the nurse also did lots of perineal massage for me and worked at turning her the rest of the way as she was starting to crown. She ended up coming out sort of facing my thigh. I won't lie, it hurt. But so did my first, and she was perfectly positioned. Totally worth every moment and I'd do it again in a heartbeat :)
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Hahaha lesjoiesdemaman...I thought the same thing when my midwife mentioned it! I was like, OUTTA THE BUTT?!?! Don't feel bad.
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 9:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• LOL. I feel so dumb now....sorry girls.
    lesjoiesdemaman

Answer by lesjoiesdemaman at 9:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• lol!!!you really thought that!!imagine!i have never laughed yet been so creeped out.
    2ndtimemom605

Answer by 2ndtimemom605 at 6:21 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• LOL! No, not 'out of the butt'- it has to do with the baby's position! When baby is facing up, that is posterior positioning... it makes for a harder delivery than the standard face down position. When you hear people talk about back labour, often posterior positioning has something to do with it. The hard part of the baby's skull presses on the back and tailbone and it's extremely painful. My first baby was posterior when I was in labour and finally rolled over in the pushing stage to be born in the face-down position, but it was a much harder labour than my other two kids, and a much longer recovery because he actually bruised or fractured my tailbone during labour and it hurt to sit for almost a month!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:26 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I knew babies could come out butt first, but I guess never heard the official term for it. And when I heard it, coming out of the butt what the first explanation that popped to my mind. It didn't help since I've heard that term while watching 18 Kids and counting and the mom said one of her last baby was a posterior birth...I figure, after all those kids, all the wear and tare...I'm glad I came to this forum and asked....how stupid of me! LOL.
    lesjoiesdemaman

Answer by lesjoiesdemaman at 9:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2010