How to help a 6 month old behave in public?

My 6 month old daughter will not ride in the buggy at Wal-Mart, she screams. She will not sit too long in a highchair at the restaurant either. I have tried rattles, toys, etc., but nothing works. I want to take her in public places, but I don't know how to get her to behave. Anyone with any advice, or things that have worked for you, please help. Thanks! :)

kasslucas24

Asked by kasslucas24 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Will she sit for long periods at home? How long has she been able to sit up? Sitting up is hard work for babies, and it may just be uncomfortable for her to sit for long periods or it may be that the cart seats and high chairs are uncomfortable.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Babies will be babies. One time when my daughter was about 4 months old. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law were in town and wanted to meet for lunch. I was worried because of my daughter and her screaming spells but I thought since she had been doing really good about going to stores and even the couple times we went out to eat, we could give it a shot. We got to the restaurant and all was good until right before the food came. She started screaming, crying, she was unabled to be soothed. So while my husband ate lunch with his mom and sister, my daughter and I sat out in the parking lot area on a grassy spot under a shade tree. She screamed and cried, I did my best to soothe her but nothing worked. The moment they walk outside the resaurant she stopped. I ate my cold lunch in the car ride home. Babies are unpredictable.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I don't think you can make her behave! She's too young and little. Just sitting at this age is terrific! Don't rush her! She might not have the strength and control to do this for that long yet! Believe me give her time! They grow up way too fast!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:42 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Behave?

Being able to behave is something adults need an adult brain for. A 6mo can't even understand words, she is certainly at least 2 years too young to understand anything even remotely like 'rules'.

Why would a 6mo need to sit up in a grocery cart?

The healthiest thing you can do for her is to get a baby carrier and strap her onto your body. She'll be safe and happy, and you'll have your hands free to do other things.

Babies who are carried a lot grow up to have normal balance and a normal sense of where their bodies are in space --both of which make them appear unusually coordinated. The other main advantage of carrying them strapped on is that the physical touch of another human grows their brains properly, which makes them smart.

Babies who ride in strollers and sit in seats all the time do not develop normally. It's common, here, for babies not to be developing normally --but it's not the healthy way.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• She's a baby, an infant! You can't force an infant to "behave" out in public - they're too little to have any understanding with that yet! If you want to take an infant in public, you have to deal with how they act - they're babies, they don't know any different! You can work on proper bahavior when she's older - deal with it for now!
    Anonymous

• i think she is too little to be sitting like that. we take my 6 month everywhere but still in the carseat thingy that snaps in the stroller and he is so good. wait a couple of months to let her sit on her own out in public
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• She cries in the cart at WalMart because she knows this will get your attention and get you to take her out of the cart. You'll have to deal with alittle screaming for a time or two, but make her sit in the cart, don't take her out, lean down and talk to her, tell her she needs to sit in the cart, talk softly and calmly to her as much as you need too, make the trip alittle shorter than normal, but just let her fuss for one or two trips to WalMart, then she'll see that she has to sit in the cart and she'll be fine with it.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 11:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• you dont make a 6 month old behave. You adjust your schedule and just deal with it until she is older. i know that is harsh but she isnt trying to test you at this age, she is trying to communicate with you. imagine how much more frustrating it is to be her than you right now.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:55 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• She cries in those carts because they are confining and uncomfortable. You can't make a six month old baby "behave". She's not trying to misbehave she's trying to communicate with you. Maybe you should consider putting her in her more comfortable stroller or even getting a sitter while you run out to shop until she feels up to going out and being put in a cold, hard cart.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:03 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• The best thing you can do - especially for a cart at the store as they aren't very safe anyways - is get an infant carrier and strap her in and place her in the basket that way.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:04 AM on Jan. 20, 2010