My son has a friend in first grade that is talking about sex. How should I go about taking care of this situaation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Answer all questions, honestly.
    If he says something ask him WHY or Where he heard that?
    Then explian, in his understanding.
    It is really sad , I KNOW :(
    Our babies, are not babies anymore and it is scary.
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 10:08 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• It is sad it's so young, but I suggest you educate your kid how you want them to be taught on the subject before his friends do it for you in a way you don't like.

Also, if his friend is being crude about it, help your kid learn that's not okay.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Ask him what he knows first, then go from there, like the first person said, answer honestly. Try not to give any more info than you need to. He may lose some interest at his age anyway. Also, explain to him that it's really not appropriate for someone his age to talk about, so he won't go repeating things too.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My gosh, really? That is young. I have a first grader and the idea of this talk makes my blood run cold. I guess the above ladies are right, answer honestly and don't give details unless he asks. Ugh...Good luck. Sex ed in our area is in fifth grade, btw.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• it happens more than most would like to think.

answer his questions honestly. i would also talk to him about knowing the right place to talk about stuff. that this is a private topic that should only be discussed at home with you and your DH or with a teacher or doctor. I would make sure that he knows you do not want him talking about this stuff at school. even if he doesnt listen, at least you made the effort.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• sex ed here starts in 4th grade. they just talk about anatomy and hygene in 4th and then get more in depth in 5th.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Don't over react. Just talk about it as though it were just another subject in general.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:10 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• This is a teachable moment. Ask you son what he knows. Clear up any misconceptions. Filll in the blanks. Ask him if he has any questions. Make sure that he knows that he can always come to you with questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:13 AM on Jan. 20, 2010