Motherhood is a profession. Are you a professional?

Seriously. Most moms go through a lot of things with their kids. Serious medical issues, school issues etc.
I personally feel that I have to present myself in a manner that appears serious when I discuss these types of things.
Do you appear professional when discussing serious subjects or do you sound ignorant and stupid? Yes, this will be a hot topic. Frankly that is ok, we need debate. But I am not judging people on their education. People with the lowest education can take pride in their attitudes and the way they present themselves. Please tell me someone else feels this way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think I've come across as both.

As much as I'm well educated, and do my research, there's still so much to motherhood that's "learn as you go."

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I've been a mom for 19 years & found being serious all the time is just....ridiculous. A professional? No, I dont get paid to be a mom. That's what "professional" means; to get paid for doing what you do. I've been through a lot in 19 yrs & 5 kids, but I still feel like every day I can learn something new. Some people aren't good with words or expressing themselves. That doesnt mean they aren't as good as you. It means they are different then you.
    Anonymous

• When I am at the school dealing with my sons IEP or anything that may come up with my other children I tend to walk in and present myself in a manner that will give the right impression. I want teachers and staff to take me seriously so i dont go in looking sloppy and make sure i have my facts straight, i also make sure that i dont sound like i am a upset parent, i want them to understand that i am trying to resolve the issue not make excuses (these times truly are rare with my kids).

For me it helps that i have a good background with the staff, i am not known as a mom who goes off half cocked, I also worked in the schools for 5 years so my professional manner has already been previously established.

When talking to other parents I try to make sure that i speak from experience and if i am not up to speed on something i always ask more questions.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 10:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• OP: I agree with you, serious ALL THE TIME is ridiculus, but while asking serious questions? I agree people can't always present EVERYTHING with perfection. All of us make grammatical or spelling errors. I guess, I look at the way people present themselves and it seems as though when they don't care how they present themselves it is reflected in how they treat their kids.
    Anonymous

• I was and am a Stay At Home Mom.
    I / WE , decided I would be from the day, I found out I was pregnant......
    Time went on...things happen...... got sick with COPD, had to file for SSI, because, I did not work, for the last 10 years.
    So, It can come back to BITE you.
    ( just a warning to others )
    I would NEVER ,....Trade those years, for anything !!!!!
    IF YOU FIGURE IT UP ON PAPER...
    I THINK WE ARE WORTH about ???

3,000.00 Dollars a month...LOL
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2010