Earned Income Credit...do I have to claim child?

My child's father is complaining because he wants to claim little one this year, but I am not sure if he does this, if I will still get an earned income credit thing. ANybody know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• yes, for EIC you have to have a dependent to claim.
    Anonymous

• YES U NEED TO CLAM THE KID BECOUSE IF NOT THE I.R.S WILL COME BACK AND BITE U IN THE ASS ! !
    Anonymous

• If you earned very little you can still get a credit without claiming a dependent. there's a calculator at irs.gov
    Anonymous

• Yes you can claim the EIC if you have a dependent.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• okay, it should be in the divorce stuff who claims him what year.

my SO claims his daughter every year and gets her EIC. his EX claims their son and normally gets the EIC. However, she re-married the year before last. they made too much money so they didn't qualify for the EIC. maybe i am talking about un-earned income....sorry not a pro at this. however, my point is that she was able to get the credit for claiming him, but my SO was able to get the un-earned income because he lived with us more than half the year. so i would make sure that you one follow the court documents first, and then go from there.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My childs father wants to do the same but Im like oh no. Im claiming my baby. I take care of her so Im claiming her.
    Anonymous

• who claims the baby is up to you, but if u dont claim it u wont get the additional money from the tax credit, he will. if u decide to let him just tell him to give u some of what he will get for the baby. charge him to claim your baby girl!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Anon :41 is right, but it really isn't much of an income, and not much of an EIC either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Answer by rkoloms at 6:10 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I work at liberty tax and if you guys have been divorced he may claim the child as a dependent and you may get EIC
    I believe the form is a 8332. It allows the non-custodial to get the child as an exemption but not to get any of the dependent credits that go along with the child. So if you are the custodial parent you can still get the credits with out claiming the exemption

If you have never been married it may be a little trickier and maybe you and your ex could work out a deal where you guys can split some of the money if you would get back more than him.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2010