3 times today i have looked over at my son (3 weeks) and he has had spit up come out his nose and mouth. Is this something to be concerened about?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is it shortly after he has eaten? Maybe he didn't get enough of a burp out before you laid him down and a little gas just came out really forcefully.
    My first dd had slight reflux, and we had to hold her upright for about 10-15 minutes after she nursed so she wouldn't cough and spit up as much. I remember each of my girls having spit up come out their nose at least once, and I remember being worried at the time, but I don't think it's too big of a deal. If it really worries you though, don't be afraid to call your pedi or the "ask a nurse" line if your hospital has one. They can help put your mind at ease.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Might be reflux, Id definatly look in to calling the dr and having them look at your son.
    Also if you formula feed you may have to change the formula.
    We use nestle good start the orange can and our daughter hasnt spit up since.
    Anonymous

• aww poor thing. try keeping his head slightly elevated when you lay him down with one of those wedge things. and keep him propped up for a good 20 min after he eats and just keep burping.. my girls were like that. it could be reflux, or it could be your formula/milk. our pedi told us to switch to enfamil AR (added rice) , which is the same thing but just a little heavier or thicker to make it easier to hold down or adding a teaspoon of rice cereal to her milk. but talk to your pedi first before changing baby's diet. hope your baby feels better.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 11:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I had to use a wedge with my son. It helped a lot. It wouldnt hurt to bring it up at his appointment. Just keep him upright for a little after he eats and make sure he gets all the bubbles out before you put him down. I had a hard time with that with my son. But he did much better.
    Anonymous

• omg my baby did that on her first night home and it scared the daylights outta me! but my mom the nurse said to just suck it out and lay her propped oup or on her side. but if it happens frequently i would bring it to the docs attn!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 1:08 AM on Jan. 20, 2010