when u get induced?

When u get induced and your water broke can u ask for an epi right away or do u still have to wait to reach a certain centimeter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Depends on the hospital, You have to ask about their rules.
    Why are you being induced? Has your body started labor?
    Odds are if you are not dialated now you wont dialate being induced and most likely could end up in csection.
    Anonymous

• you have to wait. when youre induced youre offered 2 different types of pain medicine. The first one you can take as a whole or split in half and the secong is the epidural. When I was enduced I took half of the first one and felt pretty gooned out. A few hours later when it was wearing off and my contractions increased a little I asked for the other half. I didnt get my epidural till I was around 5 centimeters. You want to try to hold off as long as you can for it because if you ask for it to early and it wears off before your labor is complete your out of luck on the pain. They usually make you wait till youre atleast 4 I think.
    MsMallory09

Answer by MsMallory09 at 11:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• and I dont agree with thr first answer because they gave me something to dialate me. I was not even close to labor when I went in. I was actually induced a week prior to my due date because I asked to not be pregnant anymore. I went in the noght before, was givin medicine, started contractions the next day, had an hour of labor, and 30 minutes later I was chowing down McDonalds from starving for not eating all day and watching them clean off my girl. Loved it and would do it again.
    MsMallory09

Answer by MsMallory09 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Depends on the hospital. I was stuck at 4 cm both times when I finally got an epidural (after about 36 and 35 hours), and it wasn't until then that I really made progress. With my first, my water broke on its own about 26 hours into labor. My midwife broke my water the second time after I think 28 hours. Part of the reason mine took so long was that they were before my due date, at 38 and 36 weeks. If you're closer, it will probably go faster. Looking back, I wish I had opted for an epidural sooner, because things didn't speed up either time until I got it. I didn't bother with IV pain meds and I don't think anyone offered anyway. The pain wasn't really that bad, but the process was slow.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:27 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• at the hospital i delivered at they wanted you to be at least 4 cm before you got it.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 1:24 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Typically I think they make you wait until youre pretty far dilated before they will give you an epidural. My hospital wouldnt let me get it til I was at 6cm. If you get it too early, like the PP said, it could wear off before you are through the labor process and then you will feel everything from then on.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:34 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Regardless of water breaking and induction, getting the epidural is something that can happen at any time, but can vary. You will need to ask what your doctor/hospital's usual protocol is with this.

Are you saying you want to have the epidural as early as possible with your induction?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:07 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Because an epi can actually slow labor they usually prefer you to be three or four centimeters before they do it. But of course it will vary from place to place and doctor to doctor. If you get an epidural I recommend getting Demerol first to make the epi easier. Talk with your doctor about all the risks and benefits. And make sure you're ok with a c-section if it becomes necessary. Good Luck mama!!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:53 AM on Jan. 20, 2010