PICA? My toddler likes to chew on metal.

He is almost 17 months. He doesn't really put stuff in his mouth.... except metal. Coins, screws, spoons, tools, anything he finds tha tis metal goes straight to his mouth and he chews on it. He will usually show me something and if I say it's ok to eat he will go ahead and eat it if I say no he gives it to me...... not metal, he chews on it and when I try to take it he flips out.

He's been doing it for a while, I just relised it could be a serious problem. I'm calling his ped. tomorrow, just looking for thoughts on this, or ideas of why else he would be doing it.

(he gets screws, coins, and tools because his dad likes to leave crap laying around and he finds it)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• my best friends son did this too...he wouldnt eat anything unless he rubbed dirt on it too...they said he had PICCA ... but now he doest do it anymore ( he is 2) ...so I have no idea..
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• my kids loved eating anything paper LOL IDK if it was PICA or not, but they have stopped it only lasted until about 2-2 1/2 years old.

I've heard that PICA is brought on by some deficiency in the body. like eating chalk = calcium deficiency. IDK maybe he's anemic?

Last week I was craving salt SOOO bad I grabed the popcorn salt and just ate it by it self, did that for like 3 days before hubby mentioned that I had started using sea salt and that it might be my body telling me to eat table salt for the iodine which I wasn't getting with the sea salt. Sure enough, used table salt on my meals the next day and no more salt craving.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like PICA, but i wouldnt worry. A friend of mine's daughter had/has it, and at this point its comical (she's gotten better). Maybe theyll run a blood test to see if he's deficient, but really its fairly harmless unless it gets ridiculously out of hand.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 11:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I chew on cans... maybe I have PICA too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Jan. 20, 2010