Cardiology appt..............what should I expect and ask?

My son turns blue and purple around his lips, on his lips, tongue, feet, and hands. We finally got him into a cardiologist. What should I expect at this first appointment? What info should I gather for the doctor? What will the doctor ask? What should I ask?

chelleybeans

Asked by chelleybeans at 12:03 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My son at around 20 months went to see a pediatric cardiologist for a murmur that his ped heard...so its not as serious as you situation but ill tell you what it was like for us.

the doc came in to talk and listen for himself and agreed with ped that it needed to be checked out.

he was scheduled to get an ekg which went well because the nurse was so good with him....they also took his blood pressure.

Then he had the ultrasound of his heart, which didn't go as smoothly, but they had a movie on for him to watch and an extra nurse as well as suckers(bribes) lol. After the tests we met with the doc again and luckily they said its just a murmor and they could not find any defects and all look fine.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For info write down any symptoms your son is having, his activity levels and any behavioral changes you've noticed.

cont.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:17 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• write down any medications he is taking, any allergies and past medical problems.

Before the appt write down any questions that come to mind so that you won't forget them.

Just don't be afraid to ask them any questions if you don't understand something completely or if you want further explanations.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:18 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• When my son sees his cardiologist he has a chest x ray done, an EKG, and a echocardiogram. then we see the doc.. For the most part ped cardiologist are really good to work with the kids and it makes it alot easier on the kids.. make sure you ask any and every question you might have dont leave anything out... Cardiology can be confusing so make sure you understand everything before you leave you you will be a mess wondering what they where talking about.. write down everything you need to ask cuz once you have the doc there it all goes out the window and none of the questions get answerd.. Good luck and i hope all goes well.. I am a mommy to a 5 months old Heart baby..if you have any questions i am more than happy to talk!!!
    aubreyluv

Answer by aubreyluv at 1:02 AM on Jan. 22, 2010