how can I get my newborn to sleep in her crib?

My daughter is 3 weeks old and she will not sleep in her crib for me. She will sleep anywhere else laying on the couch while i watch tv or laying on my bed or of course while i am holding her but as soon as i lay her in her bed she is wide awake and will not sleep in it at all. any ideas of how to get her to sleep in her crib?

deliamomma09

Asked by deliamomma09 at 12:16 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• do you have one of those sleep positioners? My kids wouldn't sleep without them, made them feel snug I guess kind of like when you put baby on the couch up against the back part. (hope I'm making sense LOL It's past my bedtime!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• my daughter also wouldnt sleep in her crib at first...so i used her bassinette...worked awesome!! i heard somewhere that babies like it because its not so much of an open space, so they feel more comfortable in it...plus the one i had played music and rocked back and forth..so i just put it right next to my bed, and yaaa we both slept!! lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:20 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• my kids hated it too. we ended up co-sleeping because they wouldn't even give their crib a chance. i'll be watching this because baby #3 is on the way and i'll be damned if i need to share the bed with another fidgety kickity punchity slap me in the face baby... lol. i love them, but it's been years since i've been able to stretch my arms out and sleep comfortably.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• DD does the same thing to me. She will be sound asleep and as soon as I put her down she wakes up. I've found that swaddling her tightly and putting her in her carseat usually works.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Try swaddling...but expect the crib won't get much use for quite a while.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:27 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• this is what I did I wore s tee shirt to bed and all the next day. I took it off right before putting him down for the night. when rocking him I had that tee between us. when I laid him down in the cib I left the tee under him. it was warm it smelled like me and he slept. he slept with that shirt for months.
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 2:24 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Use a sling or other baby carrier.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• The crib is VAST, cold, and scary when you ae that small. Yhere is no reason why she has to sleep there. Try some of the suggestion. I'm partial to slings and cosleeping. But the other ways of swaddling or swiching to a bassinette should help. You just need to try some things.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:36 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Bassinets are good for new babies - - much smaller and less intimidating. I used mine for the first few months with both of my kids. Swaddling is also good - helps baby to feel snug and secure. And putting baby to bed with a piece of your clothing that smells like you could be a big help too :) Good luck!!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 9:13 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My son has slept in his crib since the first night we were home from the hospital. If it is something you want to do, stick with it and she will get used to it. We always swaddled him and also used a sleep positioner. He's nearly a year old now and likes sleeping in his own bed. The few times he has been sick, I have tried to lay down with him and he isn't interested in laying in my bed. For us, that is what works best. Do what works best for you!!
    FFW619

Answer by FFW619 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 20, 2010