i have a 4 year old who goes to bed and sleeps well, then I have a 3 year old who has a difficult time winding down to slleep, we read, sing, pat backs, engage in mindful conversation about why the is out only at night. Any advice to help my intense , enthusiastic little guy to bed?

chasenicksmom

Asked by chasenicksmom at 12:43 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Turn the lights out, works for us, good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• my son is that way he is almost 2 and doest like to just lay down and go to sleep. what i do is let him run and play in his room about 30 minutes before the actual bedtime, then about 15 minutes before i turn off the lights so he will get the idea, then we read a story and he slowly drifts off afterwards. but he has to be very tired first
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:46 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I know what you are talking about! i too have a little night owel. We are often awake til 1am before he falls asleep. I have to place him in his old stroller, turn off all of the lights and rock him to sleep. What ever works. Could it be that we allow them to drink to much sugary fluids. To make matters worse, he seems to be outgrowing his day time naps. I believe that every case is different. Try what works best for you.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 12:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Instead of the singing and conversation you could try less stimulating things for his little mind. Keep reading but repetitive stories, that seem to kind of drone on because they can have a calming and soothing effect. (slowly slowly said the sloth, by eric carle comes to mind) lol and try soft music as you snuggle(with a blankie and fave animal?) and rock him, in a darkened room, until he gets nice and sleepy. Maybe something will work. Good Luck.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:06 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• bed time could be his way of getting one on one attention from you. you could try special days out with each child, or special time way before bed. but when its time for bed be sure not to start something you will be expected to do every night unless you can do it every night. kids love routine, dinner, one on one play time bath , story time, bed. good luck
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 1:29 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I too have a wild child that doesnt like to wind down for bed. (he actually gets more energetic when tired)....the routine that works best for us is to have silly time for about 30 minutes. We chase him, dance with him and basically just keep him moving the whole time. After silly time, is bath time. A good way for him to relax and wind down. After bath, he gets a glass of milk and then he gets into bed and I rub his feet and back with lotion and stretch his legs for him (that usually puts him right to sleep) otherwise I just lay there with him until he is asleep.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:39 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• forgot the tooth brushing part...right after the milk, very important! lol.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:41 AM on Jan. 20, 2010