how can i cope with my aughteers tempertantrum

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what does she do? How old is she?
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 1:14 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• tantrums are hard, walk away and don't bring attention to her for them, warn her to stop or time out if she doesn't time out time. for you, try to look at this as an opportunity to parent, sometimes kids use a tantrum instead of words. try to remember that kids do things over and over as long as it works for them.
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 1:16 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My daughter requires special needs and she drive me nuts, every single day!..yes!, i said it,! she drives me nuts.! BUT I LOVE MY PRINCESS. I am hesitant to take her to community events because she has a short attention span and want to run away from me. If she wants something she often yells..I crouch down to her level, look into her eyes and ask her to repeat what she wants without yelling. If I raise my voice then she will again raise hers. Don't be affraid to sound a little firm. You are the mom and she needs to know that you mean business. Don't forget to praise her when she does well. This is my opinion.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 1:19 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I agree with Ohio4, if the situation becomes too overwhelming, Walk Away! It is true what i have heard on television, if you are frustrated at your child and opt to spank, you might actually hurt them. Go outside for one or two minutes and get a breather, or count to five not ten because it takes too long. By then the kids have started a fire inside the house...lol.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 1:24 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• tantrums are besst ignored. if they are an older child get out the video camera and film them. later when they are calm show it to them. usually they are very embarrassed and jusst the threat of a camera stops tantrums in the future
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 1:59 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I handled my daughter's tantrums by doing NOTHING. After all, it is attention they are seeking when they do that, so I give her no attention whatsoever . . . not positive or negative. She is only 18 months and is already understanding that they don't benefit her in any way.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:24 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Let her have them. Kids need outlets for their frustration but lack the tools that adults have (or are supposed to have) Sometimes a fit or tantrum is the only way they have to get something out of their system. The rule in our house is that tantrums or fits are absolutely allowed but they HAVE to be done in their own room. The baby isn't old enough for that yet but when my oldest was little, if he had a fit I took him to his room & tell him that it was ok to feel the way he felt but if he was going to have a fit or needed to get it out then he had to be in his own room to do it. He was allowed to come out when he was done. It didn't take long for him to go to his room on his own when he felt a tantrum coming on. Doing it that way allowed him to get the junk out of his system without disrupting the rest of the house at the same time. That's what worked for us. I hope it works as well the second time around. lol
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 9:59 AM on Jan. 20, 2010