Weight Question

I'm 24 years old. About 2 weeks ago, I changed my whole diet trying to achieve my goal of losing 50 lbs. I eat healthy foods and exercise. I managed to lose 10 lbs in two weeks and have never felt better. I try not to make it about the scale, but I have been making it about the scale these last couple of days. I realized that I gained three pounds back. I don't get it. I seriously have been working my butt off to shed the weight, so why is it fluctuating? What am I doing wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• The more you exercise the more muscle you will gain - and muscle weighs more than fat! Muscles are a good thing!

That is not the reason for her weight fluctuations. That kind of muscle mass change only happens if you are doing serious weight training several hours a day, every day. It's an excuse people use to explain away unexpected weight gain or a smaller loss than usual. No normal person ever gains enough muscle to offset weight loss. Yes muscle weighs more, but you don't build enough muscle to make a difference doing a normal fitness routine.

Your first week loss was mostly water weight, and that possibly continued on to week two. Day to day you will see regular fluctuations. Every gram of salt you eat will cause you to retain a little more water. Any water you skimp on will dehydrate you. Nobody does and eats the exact same thing every day, so you won't see the same results every day. Give it time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• When you are losing weight it always goes up and down. So, what I do is weigh myself Monday morning when I get up and I don't weigh myself again until the next week in the morning. Dont get discouraged.Also keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat!
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:00 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• your a woman could be water gain from being close to period, don't get upset next 2 weeks you will lose even more!
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 1:09 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• y not just throw the scale in the closet and dont look at it. give yourself a month between weigh ins so u dont obsess over small pounds that may be gone by tomorrow. u should also focus on how u feel and how ur clothes fit versus ur actual number of lost pounds.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 1:16 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• the scale can be discouraging, many women only weigh themselves 1 x a week. 10 lbs in 2 weeks is very fast weight loss...be careful. you may run into several fluxuations like this. try not to be discouraged and keep on with your goals!
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:46 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I hate that so many people go through this when they're trying to get in shape! Please read this article when you get a chance, I think it will really help you http://teambeachbody.com/about/newsletters/-/nli/141 And if you really want to see the progress you're making then get you a tape measure and just watch those inches come off :)
    hillaryann

Answer by hillaryann at 9:07 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• muscle weighs more than fat so that's why you stay away from the scale. You have to build up muscle mass so it can burn up the calories for you

Answer by admckenzie at 2:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• It takes 3 to 4 months of strength training to gain muscle weight. Your initial weight loss is always water. Your weight varies through the day and be a few pounds different in the morning than in the evening. It's best to weigh yourself only once a week and try to do it around the same time of day.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 5:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2010