DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY TIPS ON POTTY TRAINING? MY SON WILL BE 4 ON SATURDAY AND JUST REFUSES TO GO POTTY....I NEED SOME HELP PLZ

JOYCE2469

Asked by JOYCE2469 at 1:23 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter turned 4 in november and she too refuses to go potty. Well, she has demonstrated some improvement by actually telling me that she is dirty. The teacher has told us to be consistent and take her in the mornings and after meals. My daughter prefers to close the door in her room for privacy and that is my clue that she has to go potty so i race her to the toilet. On somedays, she actually make it! The teacher also told us to go Cold Turkey and allow her to wear underwear without pull-ups. She said that my daughter will not like the feeling and will independently try to avoid the mess by going in the potty. I have not not this but will do so soon.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 1:32 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I have not tried this but will do so soon.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 1:34 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• If you really want this to work you have to either treat the child like a baby or a big boy. Big boys watch TV. Big boys play with big boy toys. Big boys get to do all big boy things. So take away ALL , anything you know will annoy him not to have or own. Then when he wants TV or one of his big boy toys, say, when you use the potty like a big boy you can earn big boy toys back. And reverse if he goes back to being a baby. Usually not having TV works the best. Make him work towards the goal of being potty trained. This does work if you stick to it.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 7:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Like a previous poster mentioned take your child first thing in the morning right after they wake up. Start off taking DS every 20-30 whether he tells you he needs to go or not. When he does go make a really big deal out of it. "Yeah, Look who is a big boy now" stuff like that. Let go to the store with you to pick out big boy underwear and get rid of the pullups and diapers. After a week or a few days depending how he is doing stretch the time out a little more maybe 30-45 mins. Then after a week or a few more days stretch it a little more. Depending on how he does. Also, you could try along with all of this a reward system of some sort. With my DS it was m&ms. He usually doesn't get "too" much junk so getting m&m's for going potty was a big deal. He got 2 for going pee and 3 for going poop. Before the week was out he was telling me that he had to go. If you like after a week or so of no accidents take him to get a small prize
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Sorry ran out of room. My DS decided he would make it through the night without accidents before the day but eventually he caught on. Anyway, Best of luck with this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• When my son was 3 yr and 5 m. he had used the potty but did not want it to be his rutine. I tried 2 or 3 potties, 2 or 3 places ( restroom, family room and his room), reading him something while he tried, giving him something to play with....nothing make him to make the connection. He was able to pee and poo but I had to take it to it.I started to get worried. Cafe Mommies told me ..."he will do it on his own pace" and it was true. I kept him naked most of the day on weekends...he did it but I had to take him to the potty. One day I passed by the toddlers underware and he got excited with the Spiderman and Diego designs. I told him I'd buy them only if he started to go to the potty by himself. He promised and we started on the long weekend of Feb. '09 at his 3 yrs and 5 months. Is your child going to daycare? Mine was and he could see the other children going to potty and the teacher played greatly in the success. Good luck!
    CACHARRA

Answer by CACHARRA at 5:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2010