Why do people do this?!??!?!?!!?

Why is that when you and a "friend" are both trying to loose weight they always feel the need to make themselves feel better "one uping" you?

A guy friend from hs (his wife) and I were pregnant at the same time and had our boys like 2 weeks apart. We both have had a really hard time loosing weight after our pregnancies and have both (on our own) decided to loose weight. I am doing diet and exercise and she is doing some kind of crazy protein diet and b12/phentermine shots.
She started posting pictures of her results on Facebook and after her talking me into posting mine I finally did and about 5 minutes later she posts a new picture of herself and I can admit she does look better than me and I tell her I think so. And she replies back "you should do what I'm doing"
I feel like she only posted a picture to rub it in my face that she's loosing weight faster. I was trying to pay her a complement and I feel like she threw it back

Parkers_Mommy8

Asked by Parkers_Mommy8 at 1:32 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Just tell her you don't want to do some crazy protein diet, you want to do a normal, healthy diet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• focus on yourself she doesn't have to see you naked so why do you even care? pull your ass off facebook and your head out of your ass. Be healthy for you if that's what you want.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Maybe it's just that she's really excited about her weight loss and feeling better about herself and wants you to be right there with her sharing those same feelings since it seems you've been sharing so much already...not that it isn't totally annoying and hurtful, but sometimes people with the best intentions can hurt us very deeply.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• doubt she meant it nasty but I WOULD TELL HER YOU WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT THE HEALTHY WAY
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 2:17 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Yeah that is exactly what is sounds like she is doing...Don't worry she is doing it the dangerous way sooner or later she will gain all that weight back if she continues to be mean like that. You just keep doing what you are doing and only time will tell soon you too will be able to throw it in her face. Look at it this way you are not like her you just be and stay sweet person that you are....don't worry your time will come :)...Keep up the good work!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Woman are always competing even if they don't realize it. She may be gaging her progress by yours. Remember, slow and steady wins the race...not that it even matters. When your trying to loose the baby weight don't think about cosmetic vanity. Just think about how healthy and strong you want to be..so you can play with your kids and see your grandkids get married...These things make striving to look good in a bikini seem silly.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:18 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My dd is like this. She loves to remind me how much weight is melting off her while I struggle.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• She may not mean anything by it! If it were me I would probably do those shots without telling her about it & then make her wonder why you are losing weight as fast she is! I know, I am mean! But I am competitive! Best of luck on your weight loss & for trying to do it the healthy way!
    Anonymous

• Ignore her snide remarks - the way you are doing it is more likely to stay off.
    She's the one that is going to have a 99% chance of gaining it all back plus some.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 5:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• well we all know that restriction diets and stuff like that works until they stop and start eating like they used to.

but you've changed your lifestyle....you (probably) don't want to go back to eating the way you did etc...it'll be easier for you to maintain than her.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2010