Has anyone's LO ever had to get tubes put in their ears?

I am asking because my DD has an appointment Thursday to get this procedure done and I am very nervous!! Just because I know I cannot be in the OR with her and because she has to go through this. I'll probably start crying when they take her back in the OR. If you were told your child needed tubes in ears did you go with or deny the precedure. If you denied it, how come.

MoMMy2aDiVA08

Asked by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 1:37 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My niece had to have this done.
    I can't think of any likely cases for a good reason to deny this procedure. Her speech and comprehension relies on the success of the tubes draining the fluid out of her ears (if that is the reason for the procedure. i can't think of any other reason).

Don't worry. Your little girl will be fine and she'll start talking more clearly before you know it!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:42 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Actually in my case, I was the one that had the tubes done in my ears. I was about 11 and I'm 47 now. I remember having the worse ear aches and infections. The surgery helped me so much that I've never questioned whether it should have been done.

Yes, you'll probably start crying when they take her back. But to make things easier for her, try to put on a brave face and not let her see that you're scared. She's probably scared enough and seeing you upset would probably make that worse. My DD had sugery a few years ago to remove a really large birthmark/mole from her arm, even though she was about 16 at the time made it harder for me to hide my fears. Just before they took her back, she squeezed my hand and said to me. "don't worry mom, I'm scared sh**less too!" But everything was fine. so it's ok to be scared, but remember to be strong for her as well.

Good luck!!
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 1:46 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My son has had several sets of tubes and I am always so worried when they take him back, just b/c I can't be there with him. But he always comes through just fine. When he comes back he is always crying and cranky for a bit, but it's b/c the anesthesia is wearing off. It is a really short procedure and I'm sure your little one will be just fine (and so will you).

Maryellen

Answer by Maryellen at 8:40 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My friend's son had it done less than a week ago. She was not able to go in with him either. but it is over quickly. He had a pretty rough rest of the day, the ears may bleed a bit, and he was uncomfortable, but after that, he has been sleeping through the night and he was not before. I would be nervous letting my daughter go in alone as well, but just remember he won't be aware of what is going on during the procedure, so he will be just fine!!
    december911

Answer by december911 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• We had this done last May. They gave dd "happy juice" and she didn't really knwo what was going on when they took her. It was a very short surgery and she was out waking up in less than half an hour. It took a bit for her to come out of it though. She was still wobbly on the way out. She didn't seem to be in any pain. I gave her some tylenol the first day and that way it. She was speaking sooooo much more immediately after the tubes went in. Even at home, wobbly and all, she was still running around like nothing had happened.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My 2nd DD got it done when she was 18 months old. I held it together long enough until she fell asleep then lost it, to be honest. It is REALLY hard to see your baby laying there completely motionless! BUT I cried for like 5 minutes, walked into the waiting room, dug through some magazine to keep my mind off of it and by the time I found something decent to read (some 15 minutes later), they called me back to her recovery room. She did great and the procedure takes about 15-20 minutes.

They told me they don't even knock them out completely. They just sedate them so they don't get scared or move. They don't sedate adults at all for the procedure because it's so quick and easy.

My DD had hearing loss from chronic ear infections. She also had asthma. She is almost 6 yrs old now and lost the tubes 2 yrs ago. She has had only 1 ear infection since and her asthma was MUCH better after! (Doctor expected that)

(continued)
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Now my third DD is probably going to get them. I want them to do it and requested it before the docs mentioned it. They help SO MUCH!! My 2nd DD didn't have any infections while she had her tubes...the first 18 months of her life she had 12 infections! Her hearing is completely normal now.

Good luck mama!! It's harder on you than it is on them! My DD was playing normally later that day. The docs usually take the youngest ones in first thing in the morning so they don't have to fast all day.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Oh yeah, and if they have to put in an IV (they usually do), ask them if they have a Synera patch to numb the area before the IV. It works WONDERS! My DD didn't flinch. They had me hold her tummy-to-tummy and put her arms around me so she couldn't see what they were doing, but so I could help hold her arm still. They took the patch off and had the IV in before we both knew they had even started!!

Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My DS had them done at 10 months and he still has them (he's 22 months). It was quick. The prep took longer than the surgery itself. He was probably done and out in about 15 minutes. He was groggy coming out but sucking on a bottle of juice. He was fine after about 30 minutes. It helped him SOOOO much. He had 6 ear infections in about 5 months. AFter he got the tubes, he drained so much crap for about a week. He got 2 more ear infections, but I knew right away because he drained fluid. He got over it much quicker and never had anymore after that. The doctor said he had so much fluid in there, that when they cut the slit for the tube, the drainage squirted out...disgusting. All in all, I'm extremely happy we did it. My baby was no longer in pain and discomfort.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 11:45 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• OP here-Thank you ladies for telling me all of your stories! We had it done today and let me tell U i was a so WORRIED!! I cried at first when the took her bcuz i was sad i couldnt go with her and then bcuz she was in just a happy mood when she left and then it was like they took her back there and then 10 mins later they were bringing her back out to me. She was very cranky and crying really bad which made me cry bcuz my baby girl was crying. but she slept and she woke up like nothing ever happened. and her doc said he was glad i had them done now bcuz her fluid was thick like engine oil. She is 17 months. the only thing im worried about now is putting her earplugs in when she bathes. but im sure ill do just fine. But again Thank you for your responses!!
    MoMMy2aDiVA08

Answer by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2010