How to deal with a playdate mom asking if your son stole a toy?

This past weekend, my son had a playdate with his friend from school (he already had a few of them in our house and on his friends house). They played with different toys and with small hotwheels-cars, and my son had brought one himself, that his friend was impressed for the style. After they played and cleaned up I had to remind my son that he had brought his own car, because he had forgot and put it on the box as well. Two days later I receive an email from the mother asking me if one had went home with my son. I responded that no, that he took only the one that was his, I was the one remind him of it. My point it, should I feel offended? Isn't that rude?

tuquinha

Asked by tuquinha at 4:00 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Not rude n don't take it personal. You would've done the same, don't you think?
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 4:34 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I owuldnt worry about it she asked and did not accuse right!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:57 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• No I don't think so. It sounds as if they had misplaced one and wanted to rule out a mistake on your son's part. It happens. Kids packing up and things get tossed into bags and things. Now if she had come right out and said "I think your son stole it" then that would be worthy of being offended.

My suggestion would be next time, don't take ANY of your own toys there. And ask that if he comes to your house, he not BRING any either. That way, there's nothing to 'forget' and nothing to 'look for' afterwards.

Just sounds like she's covering bases, and not accusing you of anything sinister. Not if she worded it the way you did, that is.

HTH....
    SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 6:36 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe her son told her that your son took one and she just needed to double-check. if you were in her shoes you'd probably want to ask the other mother too.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 6:36 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• i think it is a little weird, but i wouldn't take it personally at all.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:30 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• No, don't be offended. Things like that happen with small toys and she is just trying to find it. If it happens every time they play together-then I would be offended!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:43 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I too wouldn't take it personally. Maybe they have misplaced one and was just asking. My kids have gon e to play dates and have come home with toys and we have had playdates where things get misplaced or they forget stuff at our home. Did she come right out and accuse him of stealing (I'd be mad) or did she sk if maybne your son came home with a toy that was misplaced and asking you if you have sen it around your house. Things happen.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:10 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it. She just sounds a bit uptight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I would never ask if your kid STOLE it. I would say " hey I'm looking for a car can you ask your kid if he saw it any where?"
    Then again its a hot wheel car, I probably wouldn't ask at all.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:38 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• She was probably just checking. One time, when my husband was like, 9, he used to play over at his friend, Tony's house all the time. Around Christmas one year, Tony's grandmother ( who was raising him) sent my husband's grandfather a letter saying that Tony said Mike had stolen 10 Nintendo games and here was the prices of all of them. I think it totaled like, $70 or something insane like that. While Mike was at school his grandfather searched his stuff for the games but didn't find them. Later it came out that she had sent the same letter to a few of Tony's friends hoping to get money for Christmas shopping. Needless to say, Mike wasn't allowed to go over there anymore.

Lucky for you, you can't make that much off of hot wheels cars :)
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 10:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2010