how to make my 8yrs. old son to listen to me?

I have a 8yrs. old son.He was so sensitive,understading before.but suddenely he has changed.dont know the reason.He doesnt want to listen to me though he loves me so much.He doesnt want to do his study also.He was one of the brilliant student before until last year.pls. advise me.

Deepal

Asked by Deepal at 4:13 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• With kids that small to have a sudden change, something must've happened. For example, divorce, loss of a friend, move, mom/dad's working more. Dig deep and see what's the problem before you try to discipline.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 5:02 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• The PP is right. If it was an all of a sudden turn around, I'd even be wondering what has happened. If he lost a friend or even if he'd been molested. It IS one of the signs to look for. So maybe seeing a counselor who specializes in dealing with children his age might help. Just keep reminding him that you love him and you are there for him no matter what.
    And if you find out there is no REASON for him to be acting like that, then you do something about it with discipline. But you want to make sure the change in behavior and attitude isn't as a reaction to something that has happened to him that you may not even know about. Don't punish until you know for sure.
    Good luck and I hope he's just being bratty and nothing has happened to cause him pain.
    SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 6:31 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Thanks Vero0724 & SimplyLaine.You are right i dont think to punish him as he himself doesnt know what is he suffering from.Yes, there is a sudden change in his class.He has started his new class with new teachers.This may be the reason.But he changes his class every year.Let me talk to him about his friends.BUt dont know he doent like even the people who loves him.even yesterday `s happening,i went with him market,there i saw a girl who was calling him with love.he was not replying her. then i asked him y r you not responding her she was calling you with much love.then he replied -mum,she always calls me like this only and she always says me cute but i dont like her.oh i was really surprised at his behaviour.
    Deepal

Answer by Deepal at 3:25 AM on Jan. 22, 2010

• oh yeah, somethings going on. to me it sounds like a kid he thought was a good friend didnt feel the same n now he's lashing out. fyi,m i was a 2nd gr tchr and this really hurts their feelings
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2010

• Thx.as teachers are named second mothers.you must be right Vero.....
    Deepal

Answer by Deepal at 3:11 AM on Jan. 26, 2010