Helping mom with custody, need advice.

I work (i'm an infant specialist) with a soon 2b 3yo and he hasn't seen his dad since he was 9mos. He has signs of autism and will soon be evaluated by a psychologist through the school district.
Dad recently requested partial custody and mom wants me to help her fight this by writing a letter. Has anyone had this experience. Any pointers on how to write this?

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 5:06 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would write the letter. He hasn't had contact with the child in 2 yrs. In most states that would constitute abandonment. Autistic kids need things to be routine. Having a part time parent in & out of his life could be devastating to him.

Not every father deserves to see his child. I can think of several scenarios. The same goes for mothers too.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:51 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• He has every right to see his child. Doesnt matter when the last time it was he saw him. He only wants partial why doesnt she let him see his child? He wants to then let him. Every child needs to know their father.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Oh and I fail to see what the possible Autism has to do with any custody fight.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:03 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't write the letter especially since you haven't met the father.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:08 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Maybe because he's a dipshit father and the poor child would be better of without him! Just because a man knocked someone up doesn't mean that he'd be a good father or role model to their child! Besides...there's such a thing as supervised visitation. The kid will still know his father, but wont be able to be damaged by his incompetency.
    TattooedMommy04

Answer by TattooedMommy04 at 6:13 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• How do you know? Way to judge, what if his mother is the nit wit just keeping the child. EVERY father deserves to see his child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:21 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• He hasn't had contact with the child in 2 yrs

She doesnt know that for sure I can tell you that. All that is happening here is word of mouth. I wouldnt write the letter. It could bite you in the butt. Just would be your luck he showed up to court with evidence of him trying to have contact and the mother interfering. YES that does happen.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• To the ANONS saying EVERY father deserves to see there kid if you have never been in a situation where the FATHER was too worthless to even take care of themselves you really should put a sock in it.
    To answer the question you can write the letter but the judge may not even consider it. My ex had not seen my dd in over 3 years and was awarded supervised visitation after walking out on her when she was 3 weeks old. He is a drug addict and an alcoholic who likes to date teenage girls who will not hold a job. His mom is supposed to supervise the visits but often leaves him to "babysit" so she can go out. So far my little girl has walked to the neighbors by herself without him knowing it and played in the covered pool without him knowing it. But his mom and the judge both say EVERY FATHER DESERVES TO SEE THEIR KID!!!!!!
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:03 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• You put a sock in it
    Every dad does deserve to see their kid. My sons dad is a dead beat loser but he is a good father to my son, HE is loving towards him and they have fun. Just because a man treats you bad doesnt mean it will be the same with the kid. So YOU put a sock in it.
    GAh you remind me of this annoying girl from high school who said put a sock in it when I told her to stop judging people.
    Is this a universal thing for you judgemental women?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Anon :07 you should stop hiding behind your anon button while you spew ignorance. I am not being judgmental. I never said he didn't treat me well. He simply doesn't do anything and especially not take care of my little girl. You must not realize that kids need someone around who will watch them and certainly if you have drugs and alcohol within their reach.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:16 AM on Jan. 20, 2010