What was the youngest age you gave your LO baby food for the first time and were there any negative reprocussions for waiting so long (or not long enough)? What was your reason for introducing it when you did?

My DS's pediatrician as well as the majority of my in-laws think that it is time I start my DS on rice cereal (he is 3 months). However, I do not believe there is any nutrience in rice cereal and would prefer introducing him to baby foods and skipping the cereal all together. When did YOU start your LO on baby foods for the first time (introducing it to them) and what were the pros and cons to when you started? What was the reasoning for starting when you did?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Six months. You are the mom, you need to do your own research and make your own decision. Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 5:49 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• @ rkoloms - thank you for the info on all of that but you seem to have skipped my question to lecture me on how to feed my baby, exactly what I am trying to avoid from my family and DS's doctor. I asked for personal experiences, not book smarts and research (I am an educated woman, I know how to do THAT part on my own).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:23 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• With all my kiddos I started them on cereal at four months and baby food around 6 months. I would sat that the cereal thing mostly helps them stay full longer and to learn to eat from a spoon. It seemed to me that my babies slept better at night after eating cereal.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 6:43 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I am also skipping cereal since it only seems to be to help baby "stay full" which means it just sits in baby's tummy longer. From what I've found they don't typically recommend foods under 6months anymore unless it is cereal (which seems dumb to me, but whatever), but I was raised around babies getting their first few introductions around 3-4months. Our son is also 3months & we'll be introducing him to a couple different things over the next few months, but we wont be feeding him larger quantities until 6months (we are thinking about starting off dipping his binky in a few stage ones & homemade purees a couple times a day & moving up to half a jar or so twice a day when he is 6months old). I find baby foods (either organic jar foods or homemade) to be much more nutritional than cereal, so for introducing them why not start off with somthing that actually has some nutritional value, right? To each his own though.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 7:19 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• i read a medical report the other day that said there is no need and no gained anything by feeding your child before a year old!!! they child does not retain anything from the food... only feel the kid if its not getting enough with the milk!!!
    The normal age to start is around 6 months.... but i plan on waiting till at least 9 months!!!
    its all up to the parent though... dont let everyone tell you what you should and shouldnt be doing... if you dont agree with the doctor and your family then see another doctor!!!.... im sure you will get a differnt story!!! look it up!!!
    Hope that helps some
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• The WHO recommends no solids until at least 6 months when babies can sit unassisted and have lost the tongue thrust reflex (this reduces choking). The gut of a young baby is just so immature and rice cereal is particularly hard to digest and has no nutritional value when it comes down to it. The iron they put in it is very constipating. I don't know why doctors are still recommending it.

The good news is that you can go straight to table foods if you wait without needing to fuss over purees. You can skip ALL pureed foods and save your money. When a baby is ready they will be able to pick up foods to test and gnaw on them (even without teeth) if they are cut in big enough pieces for them to hold. They can even taste what mom eats if its mashed a bit. They won't get much nutrition at first, but tha'ts normal
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:27 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• CONT:
    Con of starting early: stomach upsets, spending too much money and time on purees, more time spent scraping baby's face than feeding them, extra care taken to prevent choking

Pro of delay: Baby is better able to regulate their own intake, table foods easily used, gut is more mature to handle solids, baby can sit up, and has lost the reflex to push food out of the mouth.

BY the way the first poster wasn't lectureing. This question gets asked several times a week if not every day, so she has cut and pasted standard info. it wasn't personal.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:30 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• From personal experience I would wait. I gave my 3 month old cereal because she has bad reflux and the doctor said it might help weigh down her stomach acid or something. It was such a bad idea, she was up all night with a stomach ache. That was just my experience, I know other who have started cereal and baby foods early and everything went fine. Since it is not necessary, waiting a few months would probably be best.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 8:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• With both of my kids I waited until 6 months to introduce solids - for all the reasons listed above :) With my first I didn't know better and thought that rice cereal was good for kids - - After doing some research on my own, I decided to toss the cereal, so my son never had it - he went straight to avocados and bananas for first foods. Both of my kids showed a marked preference for the foods that I made myself as compared to the jarred foods (I don't blame them - some of that canned stuff is really gross!!). Both of my kids ate pureed/jarred foods for a very short time before refusing them and wanting to feed themselves - - so the argument that I've heard about delaying solids causing kids to not know how to eat is bogus :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 9:08 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• One more observation about starting solids early - - I hear a lot of people say that it's good because it helps kids sleep through the night earlier. . . . . . My daughter started sleeping through the night at 2 months, and at 13 months my son has yet to make it through an entire night without waking up. Starting solids did nothing to change that for either of them.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 9:10 AM on Jan. 20, 2010