Can a broken retainer be repaired?

My son had been wearing a bionator for the past two months and one of the wires has broken in half. Has this happened to anyone else? Can it be fixed. I'll be calling the doctors office later today but I'm afraid that they will tell me the whole thing needs to be replaced. I've already spent so much on this little plastic thing.

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 6:46 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Im not sure, I had a friend in Jr High that wore a retainer she broke hers but IDK if they replaced it or bought a new one. I would think tho that they could just fix it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I super glued mine back together, but the plastic broke in half along the roof line for the top of the mouth. I don't know if that will work for the metal.. I did go and get fitted for another retainer, but by the time it got here my teeth had shifted so much in that week that the new one didn't fit at all. I have been without a retainer for the last 11 years and I desperately need braces again. If you don't want your money to go to waste then you may just have to replace it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:22 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Thanks for the advice, I'll be calling today:)
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I don't recommend Super Glue, the retainer is in their mouth and the glue is toxic. More than likely it will have to be replaced, especially if the wire snapped.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2010