Cat pisses on all our stuff but not in the litterbox, please help!

She is a couple weeks shy of a year old, we have had her since birth (we own her mom as well). They are our only two cats, but we have two dogs as well. Both cats are fixed. Now the problem is that she wont piss in the litterbox! She poops there just fine, but she wants to piss on all our STUFF! Not just the floor, she picks what she will go on...my purse, our bed, our pillows, our shoes, the diaper bag, the carseat, the baby bouncer...our actual STUFF! She is the only animal that does this, the others are all well-behaved. We've tried those sprays to keep cats from going places, we've tried covering everything with blankets or tarps before bed, we've tried smacking her nose everytime she does it, we constantly put her in the litterbox as she's going, etc but nothing works! Please help! I can't stand everything smelling of cat piss anymore but I can't bare to get rid of her either! What can I do?And what gets rid of the smell?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Pets

• if you can afford it take her to the vet she might be telling you she has a UTI, mine did the same thing and she had a UTI, but she quickly returned to her habbits after it was gone so she had to go cause I am preg and cant keep cleaning up after her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• If she used to use the cat litler just fine. Then it is her way of telling you something is wrong. If she never has and always done this. Well then she will keep doing it no matter what you try.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:34 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I say either a UTI or she is pissed off and just not getting enough attention. One of our cats did the same thing and still does when she isn't getting enough attention or feels neglected. Good Luck!

FYI to get the smell out I wash everything in hot, hot water with extra detergent.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 9:49 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• {OP} - Thank you everyone for responding. This isn't new behavior for her though and we give her plenty of attention since there is always at least one person here with her that will give her love at any moment she wants it. We thought it might just be a kitten thing at first but it has been almost a year and she obviously knows how to use the litterbox since she shits in it, she just refuses to piss in it. Looks like we'll just have to deal with it or get rid of her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• i had this probelm too, our cat weve had for 4 yrs kept going in a certain area, i just put him and the litter box in the bathroom at nite and when we wasnt home,only put him in there for 4 days and now he doesnt go ont he floor
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:32 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• You need to take this cat to the vet asap. When a cat starts doing this it is their way of saying something is wrong. she could have a bladder infection or she could be producing to many struvite Chrystals in her urine. It could also be that is is behavioral, maybe she is stressed about something but when a cat starts doing this you should always cross medical reasons off first. After the vet if all is well there you might pick a comfort zone plug in with feliway from the petstore. This helps a lot of cats that do this sort of thing especially if it is due to stress.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My condolences to you.I have had the same problem. I have 9cats & only one will not use the litter pan.
    She pees on my bed,in my shoes,on my clothes & throw rugs. I don't know why & neither does my vet. Stress can cause this. Do the dogs annoy her? I assume you have taken the cat to the vet. Has he or she checked for urinary tract infections? Maybe a birth defect? As for getting the odor out of things you can't throw in the washer,go to a pet supply store. They have many products that will get rid of the odor. You could also isolate her in a bathroom with her own litterpan until she learns to use it. Be sure to keep it very clean. Cats don't like dirty litter pans. You might also try putting her in a large dog crate with room for a litterpan. I have done this & the cat learned to use her pan. She sleeps there every night & even enjoys it. Good luck to you & your sweet kitty.
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 12:32 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• You need to do more to discipline her then just smacking her nose! Either that or get rif of her like you said.
    Anonymous

• BYE,BYE KITTY! Or Outdoors life for it.No way, would I deal with that..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Feb. 3, 2010