New 6.1-quake hits Haiti, people flee into streets

Is this not just insane? AS if they havent been thru enough already!

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti – A powerful new earthquake struck Haiti on Wednesday, shaking rubble from damaged buildings and sending screaming people running into the streets only eight days after the country's capital was devastated by an apocalyptic quake.

The magnitude-6.1 temblor was the largest aftershock yet to the Jan. 12 quake. The extent of additional damage or injuries was not immediately clear.

Wails of terror rose from frightened survivors as the earth shuddered at 6:03 a.m. U.S. soldiers and tent city refugees alike raced for open ground, and clouds of dust rose in the capital.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake was centered about 35 miles (56 kilometers) northwest of Port-au-Prince and was 13.7 miles (22 kilometers) below the surface.

Mrs.Owen86

Asked by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:33 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:33 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• omg. Those poor people!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:21 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Is it really fair to call it a "new quake" when it is in fact an "aftershock" which is common to all earthquakes?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• A 6.1 AFTERSHOCK. Is that normal?
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• anon 9:21 I bet to the Haitians it felt like a new quake. Yes aftershocks do happen we are not morons here. I get your need to be right so I will let it go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• aftershocks are very normal even after months of the first hit. Most of them were already in the streets, but the terror must have been awful!!

Answer by older at 9:52 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• LOL! It's okay people of Haiti, it wasn't a REAL earthquake! It was just an aftershock!

I feel sorry for them. NO that isn't a good place to populate with a lot of people, but neither is New Orleans.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:04 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Well while I am truly sorry for their tragedy, they chose to live there

What the mess is that,lol???? Hmm, I would think that they wouldn't have any choice but to live there if they are born there. Also, being that Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the world I highly doubt they have the resources to just pack up and move. You have to remember....lots of Americans don't want illegal immigrants in this country (sarcasm) so it would be pretty hard for them to move to the US, make a living, and then gain residency.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Also 2austicsmom...where are they going to move all of those people? I'm sure the U.S. doesn't want them...too many people of government assistance (sarcasm again).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Well while I am truly sorry for their tragedy, they chose to live there. Seriously, an island on the fault line and in the middle of hurricane central probably not the best place to populate with people.

Until the first earthquake 8 days ago, there had NEVER been a quake in the last 200 years in Haiti, I wouldn't say that is a particularly earthquake-prone area, would you? And as for "they chose to live there" that is just stupid. It's not like they had a lot of other places to go. It's a pretty small island. Take to the open ocean in a rickety wooden boat and hope they drift 600 miles to the United States where they will be met by the Coast Guard with guns waiting to turn them back? Yep, they "CHOSE" to live there.
    Anonymous