All day Kindergarten

I just wanted some feed back of the all day kindergarten program here in NY. I have a 3 year old, and recently found out that he will be in "school" from 9:00 am to 3:00pm mon. thru fri. Do any of you other Moms feel that this is a VERY long day for these little people? My older kids went for 1/2 day kindergarten and I just feel this is too long. Not sure if there are alternatives, and hoping for some feedback. Thanks

IrishMominNY

Asked by IrishMominNY at 8:46 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I went to all day kindergarden when I was younger. LOL
    It was very hard on me at 5 LOL.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My granddaughter will be in all day kindergarten. It actually works out because otherwise she'd need to go to her pre-school for the other half day. Surely they'll have break times and free-play for the children.

Answer by Bmat at 8:51 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• my district offers full day, 1/2 day and a young 5's program, but honestly as a working parent full day is our only option because the district does not offer transportation for 1/2 day
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:51 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My Dd goes to all day kindergarten. She loves it. What they do here is the slowly add more time to them sitting at there dest doing work. So they start off with more play and rest time in the afternoon. As the year goes on they slowly add more sitting at there desk. I think it is a great idea and gets them use to it instead of how I remember kindergarten. When you go to play alot and then once you got to 1st you were expected to sit there all day.

I personal think it is a great idea. At first i was not liking the all day Kindergarten. but once her teacher explain this to me. I thought what a great idea.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 8:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My granddaughter turned five in July and started all day kgarten in August. Yes, I thought it was tough, but they do adjust. She has plenty of rest and play times. At the beginning she fell asleep almost every day, as did about three other kids. I, personally, feel that she could have waited another year, but it was not my decision, ultimately, it was her parents.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:56 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I think we send kids to school way to young. They do adjust, yes. I don't think it's in the best interest of the kids, though. Since it's a cultural norm, I don't really know what to do about it. I made the decision for my kids to homeschool them until they were 7. It works for us. But what works for me, isn't what other moms want for their families. So, yes, I think all day kindergarten for a 3 year old is wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My middle 2 kids went to all day kindergarten. From 7:50am-2:20pm, the same hours as every other grade in their school. There is also a preschool for 3-4 year olds and their hours are the same except they are released 10 minutes earlier so it is easier for their parents to pick them up since they have to go into the building to get them. My son had no problem with it but my middle daughter kept falling asleep in class the first couple of months because she was used to taking a nap most days (no nap time in kindy). She adjusted, though.
    My oldest went to half day kindergarten (afternoon) and got on the bust at 11:30am and got home at 3:15. The next year they went to full day kindergarten and everyone had the same hours. At our bus stop they were picked up at 8am and got home at 3:15pm. My dd was one of the youngest in her class son in 1st grade she was the same age as some of the incoming kindergarteners.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Our child is in a full day of kindergarten... but she's been in daycare for her whole life so it wasn't hard... think of all they will learn. I'm sure your child will be fine and then when you get home, just relax!
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 12:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2010