How do you teach an 18 month old to pull his underwear up and down?

I've been trying for a couple of days but he's just not getting it.

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 8:55 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• good question! my 19 month old will go and sit on the potty with her panties on and pee,lol. if i catch her on time and tell her to take her panties off she can do that put not put them back on.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:34 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I hold her hands and push down and then hold her hands and pull up. We have been working on this for a month now. She loves to help and if I get her pants past her butt then she can get them off. It just takes practice from them and patience on your part.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:38 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• It'll take time. Show him you doing it or daddy. then show him. help guide his hands. Mine didn't get good at it until closer to two. Like anything, it jsut takes practice. She would walk off with the front and sides up and the back under her butt!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I have NO idea! My 2 YEAR old still won't pull her pants down to pee! She goes on the potty IN them! UGH! It's frustrating... but she is just starting to make attempts... I encourage her and tell her she can do it herself! The problem she has is getting them over her butt and I always end up helping for that one spot! I guess just keep working on it!??!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My daughter trained at 19 months and didn't even start helping with that for several months... don't worry about it at this point. Your 18 month old will need you there at the potty anyway for wiping, etc; it's fine to help with the pants and with getting on and off. When he starts showing interest (and he will; he'll eventually want to do EVERYTHING himself), go with it...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• 18 months is still really young, so I wouldn't get too frustrated if he's not either not interested, or just not coordinated enough yet.

My girl's is just now doing that, and she's almost 2 and a half. I sang and up and down song I made up while pulling them up and down. When I want her to practice, I start singing the song.

We still haven't gotten her to connect the ability to pull them up and down with potty time....sigh...it's all a process.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 4:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2010