All day kindergarten follow up

Thanks for the info, suggestions and opinions. I should state that my son will not be going to school for 2 years. I was shocked, none the less, to find out that my FIVE year old will be required to get on a bus at 8:15 and not returned to me until 4 p.m. These hours feel more like a work day than school, and lets remember this is kindergarten. I am fortunate enough to not have to work at this time, and find it very gratifying to spend so much time with my children. I feel, and this is just my opinion, that I am being forced to send my child away for more time than is necessary for KINDERGARTEN, and again, forgive me, but I think this is a bit excessive. I would love some feedback please...

IrishMominNY

Asked by IrishMominNY at 9:39 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have worked since DS was 11 weeks, so he is in school from 7:45 to 5, so full day kindergarten will actually be fewer hours than he is used to.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:41 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My daugther gets on the bus at 8am and back around 3:20pm. At first it was hard but I got use to it. I really enjoy the time that my youngest and I get to spend time alone. Her and I have never had that. I also know that when my daugther is at school she is getting a good education that I can not do for her. The days seem to go by fast know. I also make sure that her and I get some Mommy & me time. We will either go hang out in the basement and do crafts or we go out and do something just her and me.

They are trying to make things better for our childrne. Not make it harder. I personal think it is a great thing. I remember having fun at kindergarten and then you go to 1st and expected to sit there all day. Our school slowly adds more sitting and doing work. So 1st grade is easier.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I also work full time so my son was used to being in daycare all day. He loved the idea of going to kindergarten all day just like the big kids. Several schools in our district have half day kindergarten. In fact, our school is only one of two that have full day classes. Being there all day made my son feel like he was really a part of the school. I'm going to bet the transition will be much harder on you than it will be on your child.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 9:50 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My daughter is in school from 8:10-3:05 everyday. They have three recesses, "center" time, random dance breaks, story time, and school work. They do not just sit at their desk all day and work non-stop. Google the advantages of all day kindergarten as far as preparing your child for 1st grade. If you don't feel your child is ready, hold him out and start him late.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:51 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• There is a lot more to learn than there was twenty years ago. Call the school and ask to visit a classroom.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I agree with you 100%. My question for you is what are you going to do about it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• homeschool
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I felt the same way years ago when our school first changed to full day K. I was upset so they were going to let my son go until lunch then pick him up, well that plan backfired the kid loved being in school all day (he is now in 10th). I have always been able to take my kids to school and pick them up which saves a lot of bus riding time.
    Call and visit before your child starts school and once he does try to volunteer, if possible, in the classroom it make the child feel special to have a parent in the room helping.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 4:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• You could drive your child to school instead of putting them on the bus. In our area we leave later and get home earlier with me driving the kids rather than them riding the bus.

Answer by missanc at 6:47 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Have you checked into any private programs in your area? Last year, when my daughter was 5, the church preschool outside of our neighborhood began classes for 5 year olds, either as an alternative to public school kindergarten, or for parents who wanted their children to spend an extra year in a small class setting with personal attention, then enroll in Kindergarten when the child is 6 (this is what we did). Anyway, I sent my 5 year old. The class was from 9 am - 1pm, 4 days per week. I strongly believe that this extra year before being thrown to the wolves (lol) in public school, with its overwhelming class size and by-the-book rules for, well, everything was enormously beneficial for her and I've never regretted it. Ours only cost $200 per month too, so it was very affordable. Perhaps you can check into some local private school/churches/preschools and see if there are any similar programs available to you?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 11:16 AM on Jan. 21, 2010