Are you divorced? What was the pivotal moment or incident

that made you realize that it was just not going to ever work no matter how hard you tried or how much you wanted your baby to have a full time daddy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• I didn't have children with my first husband.

But I left for good when he pulled out his gun. No salvaging that.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I put our then 2.5 yr old son to bed without a story, b/c he was misbehaving and had been told he would go to bed w/o story if he didn't stop. My ex went in the bedroom, picked my son up, and told him he didn't have to listen to Mommy b/c Mommy wasn't important. This was after yrs of him cheating, lying, and just generally treating me like crap. But when he undermined me with my own child, that was the final straw.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:48 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• when no mater how much he promised to stop drinking (even counseling/AA) he did whatever he wanted and it wasnt a healthy envoriment for my children...but i through him out i didnt leave the children deserve to have a stape home he didnt
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• we were never married...but i decided to leave for good when we were fighting and i told him i was just gonna leave ...he said "do it, and i will make you regret the little bastard was ever born".
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:53 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• i knew he had no repect for my son when he said that
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• When I realized how unhappy I was living with his mother, and the after five years he was never going to get a job or take responsiblity for his life. We never had children together but I did help raise his daughter, so I got something great out of the marriage, my stepdaughter! I never wanted to be divorced, I wanted to get married and stay married for the rest of my life but it just didn't work out that way. If I ever get married again I will make sure I know the person better this time around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• For years his negative comments about my personality and my looks wore down my self-esteem. He took a job that sent him out of state for days and sometimes weeks at a time. With him not being home I started to make some new friends and realized that I did have a lot to offer the world. There were people out there that appreciated me. My husband and I were almost happy when he started this out of state position. I think we LIVED in the "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" statement. He called me from a hotel in Arizona one night and said that he'd been offered a local position and he was coming home. The thought of spending every day with him again terrified me. I didn't want to become the empty shell I'd just grown out of. Without thinking I just blurted it out. "I'm sorry but I won't be here." I didn't realize what I was saying but once it was out I knew that I meant it. 24 hours later I was packed up and living at my mom's.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 10:49 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• These are painful to read. I am referring to my previous marriage...we were fighting and I asked him WHY he married me (Always a dangerous question) and he said.....are you ready? "Because you never wanted kids and you gave great (oral gratification)" That was it.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 11:00 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Wow! That statement is like a knife to the heart. Chefronswife, I hope you have found a much happier life since then. I heard things like "You're not going anywhere because nobody else wants you." which hurt but I always knew that he was with me because he loved me. He had a lousy way of showing it but in his own twisted way he did love me. The one consolation I took from my divorce is that he learned something from it. He's remarried today and is a much better husband than he ever was to me. He's since apologized.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 11:32 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• When I had to listen to my (then) 4 year old daughter tell the cops "daddy hit mommy...again". That was it. I couldn't bare to put my kids in that situation anymore. I was also sick of his alcohol problem and hearing him tell me he'll change, when he never would.

However, we've both since moved on, i'm engaged, he's remarried and learned his lesson. We have a great friendship now.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2010