Pushing a stroller after a c-section

I know I'm not allowed to lift over 10 lbs for 6 weeks but what about pushing a double stroller with my newborn and 13 month old in it? Obviously I wouldn't go too far, just maybe around the block. I feel so bad that I can't really do anything with my 13 month old and that she's cooped up inside most of the day. Yesterday I took her out so she could toddle around but she got mad that I wouldn't let her go in the street and sat on the ground mad, so I had to call my mom to come get her since I can't lift her. I figure in the stroller someone can put her in & take her out, and we can still get some fresh air. She weighs about 23 lbs. I know I should check with the doctor above all but just curious if this is not such a good idea. I had my c-section a week ago today, and feel wonderful, my ob did a GREAT job. I went home friday and stopped taking pain meds sunday.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I did a whole bunch of stuff I wasn't supposed to after my c sect. 3 days after I was doing laundry & dishes, ended up w/ some pain but everything was okay. Take it easy, if its an easy push I say try it, take another adult w/ you just in case you can't or practice in the driveway before you get to far down the road & have to call someone to come get you cuz you can't stand up. If you need to use your muscles alot to push, rocky ground, lifting over curbs then nope, no walk for you. Also be aware of your body mechanics so you don't strain that area. Fresh air's good for all!!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:34 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I would be very cautious... Even pushing a stroller can strain the sutures. Even thought the outside stitches seem intact, the internal ones can tear and cause infection or bleeding. I would just call someone to come entertain the toddler for a few hours a day.

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 9:56 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I was not allowed to run the sweeper, so I would say not a very good idea at this point.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:36 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I too had a c-section recently and would not reccomend pushing the issue by taking your little ones out in the stroller. You only have a couple of weeks where you cant lift so I would relax and take it easy. If you have some friends in the are or are a member of a playgroup ask someone to come visit for the day, that way your little one gets interaction with someone elses little one (inside or out) and there is another adult around if you have issues with the older one or just need another hand, that is what I did for the first week.
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I had 2 c-sections. I don't remember being told not to lift anything for 6 weeks. I had a toddler, of course I lifted her! I probably started lifting her at 1 1/2 weeks. I was fine. If you feel good, go for it. Your body will tell you if you're not ready.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:58 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Please. I was pushing a double stroller up and down hills 2 weeks post partum. It was either that or be stuck in the house with no food and 3 whiny kids. I was up and down stairs several times a day the moment I came home with each of my kids (kind of works out that way when your room is on the 2nd floor and this time around I'm on the 1st floor but there is no bathroom on this floor). I tried not lift heavy things but when you are home alone with a newborn, 13mo and a 2yo someone has to lift the toddlers in and out of cribs and highchairs. I found ways to do all of these things without straining myself and I rested whenever I could. I was cooking Thanksgiving dinner 2 1/2 weeks after having my 3rd c-section in just over 2 years. With my last one I cooked Easter dinner a week later, was cleaning the house the day I got out of the hospital, etc. Life doesn't end after a c-section. I had other kids to take care of.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Sorry, I wouldn't. Can your mom take your daughter out to the park or something like that?
    Anonymous