Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.): "I feel strongly that the Democratic majority in Congress must respect the process and make no effort to bypass the electoral results."

There's one on record, saying they won't do any legal wrangling over Brown's win. He also admits there's no way in hell they can pass the healthcare bill the way the numbers stand now. There's a press conference at 11 (half hour from now). Think this (the election results) will really get through uncontested?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:35 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I still wonder if they don't have the "reconciliation" option up their sleeve.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I guess we will see....I have no qualms with stating that I HOPE AND PRAY this mess of a HC bill that is really all about special interests and CONTROL..is DEAD..stick a fork in it because it is DONE baby...I pray for that.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:43 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Think this (the election results) will really get through uncontested?

Yes. Is there a reason to contest it? Like large masses of uncounted votes and defective ballots? I only know of the Democratic Party contesting when their is a reason to contest.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 10:44 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• So far I've seen 4 Dem Reps give statements that they will not vote for the senate plan since last night. Then there's Stupak, and those who agree with him. Plus all the ones who have gone on record as refusing to vote for anything that doesn't include a public option (which the senate bill doesn't). Getting the numbers to pass it through reconciliation would be very expensive - more expensive than Nebraska's Medicaid.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:46 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Yet he is the one calling for the abolishment of the filibuster.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:46 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Something is fishy. Personally, I am on high alert right now. They have said they would have the healthcare even if it meant using reconcilliation. Now they are talking about scrapping the whole plan. Something isn't right.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Well--that will surely shut a few on CM right up won't it! What is laughable is the Dem's don't need the so called super majority as long as there are a few Repub defectors.
    AnonIsEasiest

Answer by AnonIsEasiest at 10:57 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Carpy you are right about the filibuster thing.

I just wonder if this has something to do with the bill they are working on to make voter registration automatic. It would be an automatic nationwide FEDERAL registration using records from DMV, property, welfare, and more I can't recall at the moment. People would not have to register. The problem is they would be automoatically registered in mulitiple states if they had any type of the listed records in other states. For me that would mean I would be legally registered in Texas, South Dakota and Oregon. I own property in all 3 even though I am a resident of 1.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:59 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• They have said they would have the healthcare even if it meant using reconcilliation.

I think it's more that they have an excuse now. I don't think nearly as many dems were on board with the entire idea as they pretended to be in front of the cameras. And the more the monster grew, the less people liked it, but they were trapped. To cross Pelosi/Reid was to end their careers. Now they can blame the pubs (see the new question grly put up, they're already doing it). They wanted to pass it, but those mean old republicans (all 40% or less of them) wouldn't let them. They are seeing a light at the end of the re-election tunnel, and hoping they can play it that they tried but it was out of their hands in places that supported it, and play that they were against it all along in the places that don't.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:03 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• confusedSomething's fishy...

Anonymous