if you crochet I have a question!

I'm a newbie, but I kinda got the hang of it! Crocheting sure is fun yet time consuming! Anyways, I was thinking about my "first project" i'm working on and I'm thinking about crocheting a white square with a design in the middle. Maybe somthing like a simple pine branch...something "nature". But how do do this? Do I wait till the square is finished then do some needlepoint in the middle? or can I crochet the design in the middle? or do I do this once I reach the middle and cut and attach the colored yarn as I go? I hope these questions make sense. thanks!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:50 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• It really all depends on the look you are looking for. Go online and find pictures. Then decide what you want it to look like. I like to do the squares and then crochet a flower and then sew it on. I like the look of the flower above the squares.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• ok yes that is the look i'm trying to do...a design, "popping out" of the square....but yes thanks I'll look at some photos on google!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:32 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• For now, ignore the design that you actually want.
    Browse a load of crocheting, squares, tops etc, and find a pattern that you like HOW they've done it....

Once you know how it's done, it's really easy to put in a design of your own.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 11:37 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• thank you piskie for the encouragement!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:46 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Avid crocheter here. I have a suggestion.
    Go to your local Wal Mart and get the white fabric that you can print on. It's in the craft dept. Go home print what you want and then sew or quilt that into your square.
    I make quilaghans myself I crochet a huge afghan then attach a flat sheet the same size sewn on the other side. then I print my favorite pictures onto Iron material and Iron them onto the sheet before I sew it onto afghan. Put them all over in whatever design you want. maybe perhaps embroidery names on each square. When you are done. Put a row of batting between the afghan and the sheet sew it around the edges with a sewing machine and then by hand. Sew around each picture. It will give you a quilt/ afghan I call them Quilaghans.Any time a friend gets married I take pictures of the wedding and make a large white afghan and put wedding pictures all over and sew lace around the edges. Friends will cherish them.
    KarlaBostic

Answer by KarlaBostic at 7:46 PM on Jan. 23, 2010