It's the economy, stupid. Agree or Disagree?

What's your opinion of this commentary?

Obama punted on the economy and reversed the fortunes of the Democrats in 365 days.

He’s misjudged the character of the country in his whole approach. There’s the saying, “It’s the economy, stupid.” He didn’t get it. He was determined somehow or other to adopt a whole new agenda. He didn’t address the main issue.

This health-care plan is going to be a fiscal disaster for the country. Most of the country wanted to deal with costs, not expansion of coverage. This is going to raise costs dramatically.

In the campaign, he said he would change politics as usual. He did change them. It’s now worse than it was. I’ve now seen the kind of buying off of politicians that I’ve never seen before. It’s politically corrupt and it’s starting at the top. It’s revolting.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Five states got deals on health care—one of them was Harry Reid’s. It is disgusting, just disgusting.

The unions just got them to drop the tax on Cadillac plans in the health-care bill. It was pure union politics

He could have said, “I know. I promised these things, but let me try to do them one at a time.” You want to deal with health care? Fine. Issue No. 1 with health care was the cost. You know I think it was 37 percent or 33 who were worried about coverage. Fine, I wrote an editorial to this effect. Focus on cost-containment first. But he’s trying to boil the ocean, trying to do too much. This is not leadership.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I certainly do agree and it will be the economy for a long time now after people were dumb enough to think Obama could fix it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:31 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I think this is a big part yes, but I also think there were many who genuinely believed that this man was going to be different. That THIS man was going to bring transparency (bills viewed online and cspan in on negotiations) and that he was going to work with both sides...THATS what people WANT. I think most normal SANE people understand the need for compromise and dont go with the extreme of either party! Instead he has been more shady and more partisan than ANY president to this point! But then, ALL of that MIGHT have been forgiven if he had impt=roved the economy at all........which he has not. At All. But hey, he is REAL worried about the price of Arugula going up ;)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• it is the economy and what is obama doing to fix it? imo NOthing!!! walmart where I used to work has cut employees like crazy due to not wanting to insure the employees that had only been working for 6 months after that they have to insure their employees as much as I hate shopping at walmart I now realize why very few checkstands are open because of the economy they cut workers,sales are way down,and they can't afford to keep employees..(just a for instance) I don't see any jobs opening up at all alot of ppl I know are still out of work and have been for several months...I also think insurance will go thru the roof and medicaid will be a thing of the past if obama don't do something or come up with a plan to fix that..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Yes, it is the economy. But, he knew that going in, things were starting to get bad at the end of Bush's term. O was quite aware of this. But instead of doing anything to bring jobs back, he just started spending more money, like that would fix everything! Then, before that project was even off the ground, he dug right in to even more spending, and more taxes (potentially). But the worst thing he did was to continue to blame somebody else, and to claim that things were worse than he thought! This is not the behavior of a true leader.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2010