why do our schools suck so bad?!!!!!!?

we leave for school at 7:50 and at 7:42 my second grader couldnt tell me how many minutes till we leave! it seems like they arent teaching her shit! not only that but they have cut out 6 fridays per quarter this year! i dont want her going to our local schools but i dont have the time to home school. if i could get her into a montesouri school it would be better but that means a 10 mile drive twice a day! uhggg! i hate it!

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 11:10 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my mom drove 28 miles to take my lil bro to a Montessori school. Get a car pool.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:15 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I'll tell you why our schools suck so bad(and I live in the state that is dead LAST in education... yes 50th..can you believe that?). Because teachers are forced to abide by a standard cirriculum that the school board mandates. They can't do art in kindergarten, and music in my kids school is once every other week. The teacher's HAVE to teach criteria that will allow the kids to memorize those things that are on the state tests so they qualify for government funding. I remember my son(who is now 10) was disruptive in second grade. I spoke with the teacher and mentioned giving him extra work because he was ahead of some of the kids in his class. She said she would love to but unfortunately she can't. What??????????how is that helping our children to learn? How is that challenging their minds? Schools are so overcrowded, teachers get burnt out so much easier and then you have these kind of "rules" that are not helping either.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:15 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Our schools suck so bad because we spend too much money weapons.
    All I can say is get involved in the school, and work with her at home too. Make sure you know who is on your school board and who the teachers are. In every local election, make sure you are educated on the issues and vote for better funding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I'd much rather homeschool my children than put them in a school in this state. But unfortunately their father feels differently. At least I would know their individual needs would be met. It's so sad when your kindergarten child doesn't bring home the famous "macaroni art". They can't be kids, they are forced to learn things that ten years ago were taught in third grade which is a struggle for some kids. All schools care about stupid money, and not the children. There are all these schools out here with no gyms too. Kids have gym class in the "multi-purpose room" which is also the cafeteria and auditorium. sad isn't it?

Kids aren't learning, they are being fed repetition and expected to grasp and retain it. They can't advance at the level that they need to be at, but rather at a level as a whole. Those kids that are suffering and need help can't get it, and those that want to do more can't either. I am utterly disappointed
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:20 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Can you move somewhere with better schools? If you are in Chicago, I will be happy to help you navigate the system.

This is a great resource for finding schools: www.greatschools.org

The US average school day is about the lowest in the industrialized world; you can and should supplement and reinforce the learning that goes on in school: read together daily, practics math skills, draw clocks, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:20 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• we cant move because we are a mixed family. my husbands oldest 2 kids live with their mom and my daughter sees her dad on the weekends. se are stuck here. there are a couple good schools here but they have "lotteries"to get in. in other words if they pull my kids name out of a hat filled with the names of 500 kids then she gets in.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:25 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• it really is very sad. i think teachers are only teaching students to pass tests, not to learn. its all part of a big scheam to dumb down america and leave all the power in the hands of a small group of elite and corupt people, so they can lead us into armagedon. and im not joking.
    Anonymous

• While I will admit, the school's are lacking, what makes you feel this is the school's fault? I know my children have been "taught" certain things, but can't perform them for me. The school can teach but the child has to learn it too. Perhaps you should consider working on math with your child at home.

Has your child been taught double digit math with carrying and borrowing yet? I agree the school's have issues, but I feel that you are jumping to conclusions blaming the school for this instance.
    Anonymous

• the schools teach to the test here. it is horrible
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 3:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• we leave for school at 7:50 and at 7:42 my second grader couldnt tell me how many minutes till we leave!

That isn't a skill that most second graders are developmentally ready for. The can't subtract 42 from 50 in their heads yet and haven't mastered counting minutes on a clock. That is something she will learn around the second half of third grade.

Before you go spouting off about crappy schools, why not take a stab at using capital letters and punctuation. And if you aren't willing to drive 20 miles a day for your daughter's education I guess it's not that high of a priority.

Anonymous