I'm sooo creeped out right now!

We have new neighbors on the 1st floor. We're on the 2nd floor.. They party all the time & they have 3 or 4 people stay there who isn't on the lease. Anyway... Our friend (Brandon) who lives next door seen one of the couples who stays down there looking through a window from the street, that was last week. Brandon said, he heard the people who stays down there say that we're "The neighbor's with the big tv's"

This morning.... I was talking on the phone to my husband & I looked out our kitchen window, we're on the 2nd floor. I seen a guy in a hooded jacket look at me & soon as the guy seen me he jumped off the stair case and went down the side of the rails which is a good 10 feet. They've already had 2 warnings & the cops called on them by other neighbors due to partying & noise. My husband just talked to our landlord & she is working on evicting them due to all of the complaints...
(CONT)

marcnsarah

Asked by marcnsarah at 11:20 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I'm so worried that their going to try to rob us or something... Can I contact the police & get them to patrol our area more or something????
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 11:21 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• um peeping tom is against the law too. report it.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:21 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I mean... Somebody who isn't guilty or trying to do something would have used the stairs, they wouldn't have jumped off of the railing.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 11:22 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Get a gun, let them know you have it. Let them think of you as "the neighbor's with the big tv's and the loaded gun"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• No, I dont think there is much you can do.I would be freaked out to. If you got the money I would consider putting a brinks sort of thing in your apartment. Most of the time the landlords will reimburse you for the installation, since it makes their insurance on the place go down.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My husband is a police officer. And yes you can call and ask for a check in your area and they will put it on all the shifts... just explain your story they will listen
    pennstatemama21

Answer by pennstatemama21 at 11:25 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• You can call and let the police know, but it's really hard for them to patrol one specific area, especially if they are understaffed in the department to begin with. I would get a dog. I know our dog has protected us numerous times. He's a medium sized dog, but very very protective of me and the kids. There have been many times late at night he would jump up and start barking at the door, at which point i turn on the lights and grab the phone. If i need to I'll call the cops. He's very sensitive and will bark that mean, deep, "this is my turf and my humans" kind of bark. When the kids are outside he will bark if someone approaches the gate too.

You can also see if there is a neighborhood watch program in your area, and if not you may want to start one. Get a video camera or take pics of the people who are "casing" your place. Let them know you know they are there. I am very vigilent about staring down strangers parked in...
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:26 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• ...cars who i've never seen here before. It's important they know you know they are there. Document anything out of the ordinary so if something does happen and it comes time to prosecute them, you have everything the police need.

Stay aware of who is in your neighborhood, and aware of your surroundings when you leave the house.

CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:27 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• We live in government housing and they won't allow us to get a dog. I wish I had a dog I would feel lot more comfortable. What's even worse, we have motion detected lights and their broke right now! My husband is going to call the landlord again & tell her we need them fixed ASAP!

When my husband got Home, he went to tell our friend who lives across from us what happened. Anyway, I decided to go over there also & the guy who went down the rails was standing on the sidewalk texting on his phone staring at me. He KNOWS that I KNOW. I gave him on dirty look!
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 11:33 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I don't think these guys have a car, because when my husband was leaving to go back to work. We saw the 2 guys walking through our parking lot and I called my husband. He passed them walking through town!
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 11:35 AM on Jan. 20, 2010