Do any of you moms have or have you had a paper route?

I am considering this because I am currently a cashier, and it's hard to always find a babysitter (aka: family who doesn't charge me) when I need to go to work and my husband isn't home yet. And I am also in school. I don't need to make a whole lot, seeing as my income is just kind of "supplemental" I can always find time to nap during the day, so that isn't a problem. Does anyone have expeirence with this?

brighteyesbryar

Asked by brighteyesbryar at 11:26 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• I had a paper route, yrs ago, and it sucked. I got bit by the same dog twice, the second time it ripped through my pants and punctured my skin. I had the paper calling me yelling about why I didn't finish my route, even after I explained about the dog bite. At most papers you don't get re-embursed for gas money either. I almost started up again, because I was in a situation like yours, a few yrs back. After talking to the lady that delivered my paper though, I realized it just wasn't worth it. She got paid under $100 a mo. had to pay for the bag, rubberbands, rainbags, extra tickets, gas to get around...etc. In the end she was working for far less than $100. Christmas is the only time that you seem to get tips, and that's where the only real money is. And like Auntiemom said, it's a 7 day a wk. rain, snow, or shine thing. And most are very early. It's up to you though. Good luck!!
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 2:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My mom did it when I was in my teens.. and I always helped... The smell of newspaper makes me sick to this day.
    It is hard. People are ungrateful. We live in biloxi,mississippi and we were running the route the year of Katrina... and seriously the next day they wanted us delivering papers... and people were calling all pissed off that they werent getting them-HELLO THERE WAS NO GAS! You have to work 7 days a week... rain snow whatever. That includes holidays. No breaks. Its hard. Low pay. And thankless.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Not yet. I put in an application and they wanted me to start, but it is too cold right now. I think I'll do one after it warms up though.

Let me just say that the pay is not very good. Probably between $100 and $200 a month depending on where you live, and how many newspapers you deliver. That's not a lot of money, especially when you take out fuel.

At the same time, if you don't need much, that might be the perfect job.
    Anonymous