Do you influence your childrens decisions in life

I try to guide my children in the right direction and always tell them to think a great deal about the decisions that they make. But I don't want to be the type of parent that tells theirs kids how to live! My kids are 13, 11, 9, and 5 and i want them to grow up to be independent and have their own thoughts on life and things associtated with it. My family thinks that I am wrong and since I am the parent I am to tell them how life goes!

steelergirlie44

Asked by steelergirlie44 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• we can only guide them into the right direction. they need to know there are choices and each one comes with a consequence.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:40 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• We answer questions and offer advice. We don't tell them what to do and how to do but we do offer words of wisdom.
    Anonymous

• as they get older, you can't make all the decisions for them, they have to make some for themselves, you can't always be there for them, you are doing the right thing by teaching them how to make decisions for themselves.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 1:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• humm.... a bit to vague for me.

A child should be taught how to make life choices, they should be taught a moral frame work, but when young shouldnt be given total freedom over every choice.

Example - our 13 yr old son wanted to quit soccer mid season. We did not allow this. There was more to learn by following through with a team obligation, keeping his word, and finishing something even if he didnt want to; then he ever would have learned by quiting half way through. 

I agree it is important for children to learn to make choices... but total freedom of choice too young is not good.

Anonymous

• I guide and ask questions, give advice but the ultimate decision is up to him. I gave him the morals, values and ethics and the rest is up to him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

• children learn what they live...
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 8:13 PM on Jan. 22, 2010