How old she she be to start dating one on one?

My beautiful and very smart step daughter is 14 years old...she will be turning 15 in about a week. She is boy crazy! lol. I remember being that age and being boy crazy too,lol. At what age do you think is a good age to be allowed to go on a date with a boy by herself? I'm asking because a couple weekends ago when she was over she wanted her dad to drop her off at the mall to see a movie with a boy. And I kinda raised my eyebrows about it and asked if her mom lets her go on dates alone with boys yet. He didn't know. I told him in my personal opinion..going to see a movie with a group of kids might be better than going alone. He didn't take her and I think she was pissed,lol. Am I wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• HA! my girls can date after they are married! (So not looking forward to that stage of parenting) Good luck :)
    _Kitty_kat_

Answer by _Kitty_kat_ at 12:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I think 15 is fair, esp if parents are doing the dropping off and picking up in public places. Maybe more like 16 or 17 for boys picking them up and going somewhere.
    huniyxyz

Answer by huniyxyz at 11:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• depends on how mature you think she is and the kid she is dating...
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• 15 going to the movies, same age date, knowing the boy and being picked up right after wouldn't be bad. Lots of chaparons. Unsupervised dating I'd say 16.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:55 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• and just to let you know..just because you drop your kids off at a movie doesnt mean they will be attending a movie. Some kids are very sneaky..(i was)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My dad let me go see a movie and go to the mall with a guy when I was 15.....It was actually super boring....Anyways, as long as she is in a public place and the guy doesn't have a car , I think 15 is a good age. If she wanted to go over to his house or go to a party then the answer would be no.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• no shoot that is better than nothing when i was that age my mom wouldn't even let me go to the movies with a group if boys were going. I think she shouldn't go one on one until the age of 16 to be honest thats when i started although kids anymore are doing things younger and younger my half sisters mom let her date and she is only 15 she has been dating since she was like 12 one on one with a boy her mom even lets her have boys in her room and to me that is just asking for trouble being so young and alowing this.....I would if she was my DD not let her one on one until 16 thats just me though
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I don't think you were wrong, I think group dates are better at this age. Maybe at 16 she can date one on one. Your dh, or you if your on speaking terms, should discuss this with her mother.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 12:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I think if it's just a movie, I would let her go at 15. Figure there is about an hour and a half for the average movie. Tell her you will allow her to attend a movie with this boy and you will pick her up right after. Tell her she has to gradually earn your trust and that it just isn't given. See how she reacts.

Her getting pissed just means your doing your job right. The only problem i see with a group vs. one on one is the fact that peer pressure is more likely to become an issue where it comes to "inappropriate" behavior. This is just my opinion. Doesn't mean i'm right, that's just how I feel and will address this issue when my daughter is that age.

have the boy over for dinner. Get to know him. Have him visit your daughter at your house instead of his if they'd like to study or hang out. Over time you'll know if you trust them enough to let them have a little freedom away from you.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• At our house, the rule is 16

Answer by rkoloms at 12:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2010