Moms with 2-income families: How do you decide who stays home with your kids when they're sick?

Does the person with the lower income always stay home? The person who has more paid time off? Do you alternate?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 12:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• typically it is me because I have a much more flexible schedule, if DH called in there are appts to cancel and groups to reschedule.... but if I am low on sick time then he of course steps up.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• For us it depends on the time of year and what's going on at work. There are sometimes I can't get off at work because it's our busy season. Same for him. We're lucky however in that my mom is willing to watch them if neither of us can take off.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• It's not got to do so much with income as it does flexibility and time off. If my schedule happens to be slower or I have more paid time off, I stay. If his schedule is better for it, then he does. If neither one of us can stay easily, my sister will usually come over.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 12:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• i can get about 6 other people to cover my shift...my husband is the only person that can do his job..so i stay home.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I would say who every has more of a fexible schedule, Whoever you know wont get in as much trouble with work.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 12:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• It really depended on our situation at the time. My job tended to be more flexible, allowing me to telecommute part time. When my daughter had chicken pox, I was able to stay home with her and not miss any work.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I usually stayed home because I just felt like I could care for the child better than DH. However, if I had a deadline at work, DH would stay home. Lucky for us our kids were not sick too often. And if it lasted for more than a day Grandma was only an hour away. If you ask our kids they both preferred Grandma showing up anyway.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 1:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I make more money than my husband and in the beginning I use to take off. Then because we have 4 sick and 2 personal days I'd lose many of them for being out. Now, if my daughter is sick, I remind my husband that he's her father also and it's not a one family parent (which it really is in my home) and tell him that he needs to take off and watch her. My husband words in a restaurant and has crazy house, but it's a both family deal.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 1:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• depends. Usually me if it's not tax season. I have a very flexible schedule. Hubby can work from home if he really needs to. My step mom doesn't work, so she's always willing to watch my daughter if she's around. only problem is since my dad is retired too, they tend to travel a bit. I also have someone I met on here who has a home day care. If she doesn't have any kids that day, or if the "sickness" isn't really a sickness but day care saying we don't care if the doc said 2 doses is fine, we still want you gone 48 hours, then she'll watch her.

I am also very fortunate to have friends who will take time off to help if we are in a mind. My cousin is in school, she'll help out too if she doesn't have class that day. I cannot imagine having children without family and friends around to help.
    Anonymous

• When I worked I was always the one who took off. But I was also the one with the lower income and more paid time off (dh is self-employed so if he doesn't work he doesn't make money). If it got to be to many days in a row or such (since at the time we had two in daycare and the sickness at times just went back and forth) my mil would watch them.
    Anonymous