Suggestions on what to feed a one year old...

What kind of food should I feed my one year old. I have fed him oatmeal, which he seems to like and chicken soup he also like that. He has two bottom teeth, but Im still weary of him choking on stuff. Any suggestions would be good. Thanks

Cappy1979

Asked by Cappy1979 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• My baby liked eggs and biscuits at that age.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Avocado
    tofu
    cooked beans
    baked sweet potato
    hummus
    scrambled egg
    zucchini
    cucumber
    peas
    blueberries
    kiwi

Answer by rkoloms at 12:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My son is 14 months - he loves eggs any way I cook them (scrambled, cheese omelette, ham and cheese quiche, french toast, etc), he also likes pancakes and waffles. Green beans, peas and carrots are favorite veggies. When we're having salads with supper he likes grape tomatoes (cut in 1/4) and cucumbers(sliced and quartered). Bananas, blueberries, strawberries. Whole wheat pasta (twirls are the easiest for them to pick up) plain or with a little olive oil or cheese. Cantaloupe (only if it's ripe and soft) and seedless watermelon. My son will eat anything, which is the nice thing about this age - introduce him to as many flavors as you can while he'll still eat what you put in front of him!

Answer by missanc at 12:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• All of rkolums' suggestions, plus
    bananas
    yogurt
    waffles cut in little squares
    pear slices with the skin cut off
    green beans (I get the canned kind with no salt added)
    tiny cheese cubes or shredded cheese
    plain pasta (the spianch and tomato colored wagon wheels have always been my dd's favorite)
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Cut up whatever you guys are eating for your meals into very small peices and give it to him. By one he should be pretty good with his pinchers and have the whole chew and swallow thing down. I started giving my daughter finger food about 7 months because she refused to eat baby food. She started off on cheerios...now she pretty much eats everythig we eat except fish,nuts,stuff with honey in it. When we do have a dinner that I think wouldnt be good for her (like spicy chili for example) I cook some frozen mixed vegetables for her until they are soft and she eats that.
    I know the whole what the heck do I feed my kid in the beginning is tough...I went through it too..but after dealing with her issue...and babysitting a few other young babies...I'm prettu confident in my theory, lol. Give them what you eat just in mini size! :)

p.s. no taco shells or raw veggies,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• My kids ate what the family was eating at that age, except for spicy things & steak (which they would eat tiny bites of if it was really tender). Just chop it up fine, cook things a bit longer than normal, etc. They don't need special foods anymore at that age. (also - weary=tired. You're leery, or wary.)
    Anonymous

• Ok so i might have said the wrong word. I meant to say i am afraid of him choking.
    Cappy1979

Answer by Cappy1979 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 21, 2010