what do you expect to pay for childcare???

Hi all,

I wanted to throw out a question with the hope of getting some insight into what local Cincinnati mother's expect to pay for private in home child care?

I am a 33 year old Mum from Cincinnati, and I provide child care at home, very inexpensively, I would say. I posted my ad this week and the responses have left me a little surprised! I charge just $3.75 per hour, yet Mothers have emailed me to say that is too expensive. I am an ex RN with 10 years experience, my home is immaculate, non-smoker, I have 6 excellent refs, a clean police/FBI check and lisense, and I provide a very high standard of care, yet mothers expect to pay me $2.00 an hour. It is impossible for me to live on that realistically as much as i understand other's financial difficulties......what's your take ladies????

Donna Metz

safeandsound

Asked by safeandsound at 12:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I do childcare in my home. I charge half of what local senders charge and provide hot meals as well. I STILL have people who complain I charge too much. I wouldn't worry about it. Those moms are just trying to bully you into a lower fee. Be firm.
    Anonymous

• Well, with daycare ppl. have to understand that they pay for quality. Ours costs a shitload ($900/mos) but they are very qualified and send us detailed reports of her day everyday. I did not risk a cheap one because it is my daughter's life we're talking about! If it's too pricey for them then they can go somewhere else. Here in AZ, an in-home is $500/ mos. whereas, a center costs anywhere from $800-1200/mos.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• $3.75 an Hour? Gosh...move to Kentucky...I would gladly give you alot more than that. It is impossible to find good in home daycare around here and if you do find it they want $15 an hour or more.
    Anonymous

• I work for a child care resource and referral agency, so the first thing I would look at is if you were licensed or not

You can contact your local referral agency for the average rates in your area www.childcareaware.org
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• In Colorado I pay $3.25 an hour. But his old daycare was at $5.00 an hour. It all depends on the care. There are no places out here that I have found that is under $3.00 most are closer to the 4-5 dollar and hour mark. I was lucky to find our lady and she is amazing and not expensive. What do they expect you to supply at that price? If you are feeding the children and giving them juice/milk etc. Then you are charging the right amount.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I was begining to wonder if i was truly over charging! I know I am not state lisensed and I suppose that impacts my hourly rate, but i think it is fairly reflected at $3.75. I provide food, arts and crafts for the children and I have complete flexibility with thier work schedules if they are running late etc. I had a client remove her daughter from my care this past week as my fee had to go up. She was crying and furious as she was happy with her baby in my care but she wanted to continue to pay me $120 a week. She stood there telling me her child was thriving, learning new words and yet she refused to pay me any extra, so she removed her abruptly and put her with a woman who charges $100 a wk, I am so saddened for the little girl, I pray to God the care is on par with the care she recieved with me.
    safeandsound

Answer by safeandsound at 12:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I am not from cincinatti, was raised in indiana and they are about the same with cost of living expenses. I don't think you are asking too much at all with all the credentials you've listed. Not to mention, the average cost of full time daycare...in the midwest...is about 250-300 a week. I did a quick search and found this article. These women who are complaining should take into consideration you offer the same as one of the regular daycare centers, just a more comfortable, home-based environment and you aren't charging the outrageous fees that some daycare centers do in your area(and others). I found this link. http://www.local12.com/guides/parenting/hints/story/Costs/xIiXym-dKk-OG1ofA7oj0Q.cspx These parents don't realize just how cheap your services are and the quality of what you offer as well that is just as good as others.

Here's where i found this link...
    http://www.local12.com/guides/parenting/hints/default.aspx
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I think my best bet is to get lisensed, so as to be paid accordingly for the good job I do. I hate to blow my own trumpet but i don't prop the kids up in front of Dora and sit eating bonbons ha ha! I do feel disheartened, but i am trying to stay positive and determind to find the right families. I have just 2 spots to fill. I do not have any more than 4 children in my care at any given time just to be safe! including my own two. I am really commited to giving as much one on one time as I possibly can, I am worth more than $2!
    safeandsound

Answer by safeandsound at 12:54 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• When I watched a 3 yo last year for a neighbor she was paying me 125 a week. That works out to be 3.13 an hour. She provided his food and snacks and he brought over toys from his house which was next door. I am in your shoes. I am a medical assistant with 6 years pediatric experience, cpr and first aid certified. I think 3.75 and hour sounds good. That works out to 150 a week and 600 a month. Totally reasonable.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• You sounded responsible, and I think you should "blow your own trumpet". You are not simply a babysitter you are a professional care giver who works from home instead of a giant overpriced facility. You are definitely worth more than two bucks an hour.

Maybe you should print out flyers or/email flyers. Let them see in black and white just exactly what it is you will be doing while their children are in your care. Art? Music? Crafts? Field Trips? Interaction with the children and as you said "I don't just prop them in front of the tv with a bowl of dry cheerios" and sit on the puter all day long.

Your fees are reasonable. Let them try and find that kind of quality care for that amount of money anyplace. Not to mention if you do spend money to get licensed, i'd bump up the fee another dollar to reimburse for the licensing fees.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 1:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2010