Anyone think hanging out w/ parents who have similarly aged babies is annoying?

I recently hung out w/ a friend whose baby is the exact same age as mine. This is the first baby for both of us. I found it very annoying! All we did was talk about their eating, sleeping, development etc. It was all about comparing notes "well, my pediatrician says this or that.' "I heard that doing so-and-so gives them allergies.' I don't think either of us was doing it on purpose- -that's just what first-time parents talk about I guess! Am I the only one that is not endlessly fascinated by such baby-related minutiae?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont know anyone with a young child the same age as mine anymore. I have 5...ages 19 down to age 3. I wish I did though. Most of my friends have kids that are the age of my teenagers. There's nothing much new to discuss there.
    Anonymous

• Nope. Sure we talk about that stuff, but then we go on to other things..other wise it would be boring and if we didn't have anything else to talk about we probably would not hang out..
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• How did you try to change the topic? Did you ask her her opinion on universal healthcare?

Answer by rkoloms at 1:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Some time but then it can be helpful to
    LaSheik

Answer by LaSheik at 1:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I definitely know what you mean... I think with my first I did find that stuff fascinating, though. It gets worse when you start seeing major developmental leaps which of course kids do at different ages and it's perfectly normal, but one parent inevitably starts to worry... What I more enjoyed, I guess, is having someone to talk to who was similarly sleep deprived, similarly managed to leave the house in the morning without a shower, similarly hadn't even thought about sex without a sense of disgust in months... These things not too many people who are childless or who have 5 or 6 year-olds understand...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• LOL... the title made me think YOUR parents had a baby the same age as yours.

That happens. If you are a runner and you hang out with a runner you will talk running. If you are dieting and hang out with some one dieting you will talk dieting.

If it bothers you, then change the conversation.
    Anonymous

• You have to find people you click with on other topics... otherwise you'll just talk about what you have in common. It's like any relationship, either you "click" and talk endlessly about everything... or there are periods of awkward silence punctuated by short questions with one-word answers.

LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I had to chuckle at this, because when I was a first time mom, I felt the same way. I was 21 at the time, and although I did research and took good care of my kids, I wasn't interested in talking about those things. I was also a homemaker, and hated talking about homemaking stuff. When I had my 3rd child, my first 2 were teens, and I was in my late 30's. With this one, I miss all of that because I don't have anyone my own age with a little one! LOL!!! I'm also a grandmother, but the first grandmother among my friends. Too funny.
    Anonymous

• It depends. It really has less to do with the kids and more to do with what I have in common with the mom. If I have NOTHING in common with mom and we have very different parenting styles, they annoy me. If we would probably be friends even if we weren't moms, then its an enjoyable meeting.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 3:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Well... I EBF, ERF, babywear, would bedshare if I could, natural birth etc. and most moms around here FF or early wean, don't ERF, have never seen a sling, would never co-sleep, think it's natural if it wasn't a c-section etc. so usually we don't mesh.

And it's not just people talking about their babies with me... I'm pregnant again so I also have to hear dramatic stupid stories about how they were all lucky to have survived their birth, how scary all of it is, how much pregnancy/birth hurts, and how people who go without drugs are crazy only for me to say "I had a waterbirth.... now I'm having another....I like being pregnant" then we are all uncomfortable or I've actually gotten attitude like "aren't you special?!"..

I get tons of attitude from everyone so I try to just not talk much anymore...

So yeah I would say people with kids at/around the same age annoy me. Other pregnant women do, too.
    Anonymous