Pregnancy and being fired

So yesterday out of the blue I lost my job. My manager told me when I first started I had a lot of energy and spunk but lately I have seem to be lacking energy. Well I am currently 32 weeks pregnant of coarse I have less energy than before. I got fired for having less energy not because I was a horriable employee. I did my job and well. I didn't realize I could lose my job for being pregnant and having less energy. Is this fair? What can I do about it? I am not sure where I should go from here. Has anyone been discriminated against because of their pregnancy. Please share any advice and stories. Thanks girls!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would call your human resources representative.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• www.eeoc.gov You are a victim of discrimination

Answer by rkoloms at 1:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I lost my job too because I had a lot less energy! But DH went to boot camp and right after I lost my job I moved... so I would have quit the week after anyways!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Unfortunately, there are lots of employers who come up with other reasons to fire women when their real reason is the pregnancy. You can call am employment lawyer, but depending on the state you live in, there's probably not too much you will be able to do about it. www.momsrising.org may have some advice or someone you can call and get a lawyer referral. They are an organization formed to deal with equal rights and supporting moms.
    Anonymous

• It's so illegal I think you are joking?!!! Seriously, if this happened to you you need to contact the Labor Board in your area ASAP!! Get a lawyer and sue the sh*t out of them!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Wow..how rude and insensitive. I would talk to the human resources person about it. Also, maybe you can file for unemployment due to unfair termination. Thats just not right. Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• First of all, call Human Resources. Tell them exactly what your boss said and even though your boss may not have directly said you're fired because of pregnancy, I'm sure HR will find it that way. If not, speak to a lawyer. It is not legal, even if you weren't directly fired for being pregnant, you may have enough info for a lawsuit. Like you said, your work was getting done and properly too. You can't be fired for working a little slower because of pregnancy. Hope everything works out for you.
    Anonymous

• Yes talk to human resources. mamaada unfortantly it does happen. I had it happen to me.
    Anonymous

• mamaada, unfortunately, it's a gray area in so many states. I was completely shocked when I found this out. Even in places where it is spelled out and specifically made illegal to fire a woman for a pregnancy, it happens a lot. And way too many employers are able to find ways around it. I'm not in any way saying she shouldn't fight this, but it happens more than people realize.
    Anonymous

• op here: Yes this seriously happened. I am in shock and stressed out. I worked as an assistant teacher in an infant room. My director said that I was great with babies... you know taking care of them and everything. I just have less energy lately. It's true I am 32 weeks pregnant, not sleeping well, I have a two year old, I work full time, and I am in school. This whole thing is just crazy and I can't believe it happened. Maybe they didnt like me taking off work early everyonce and awhile for appointments. I don't know...
    Anonymous