Would you go?

So for the last few years I've been trying to send my son to Taiwan with his Grandparents. They go just about every year, and I really want my sons to see the world. Hubby and I could never afford to take the entire family, so sending my boys, one at a time, with their grandparents is our only option. So I thought. This is the year my oldest will be taking his first trip. They will be gone from April to June, and my son is so excited. My husband's cousin who lives in Taiwan, is getting married on May 29, and we've all been invited to the wedding. When I told his parents that we would never be able to afford the plane tickets for the rest of the family, they offered to buy them for us. So, hubby, my youngest and I will be flying in from about May 24, thru June 3rd. I am so excited, but there is so much to do. We have to save so much money so it wont hurt us to take the time off work. I am just so excited about this trip!

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 1:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Travel

• I would go to the wedding, but I would never let my son leave me for 2 mos!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Yeah, I'd go. But like previous poster said: I woldn't let my child go out of the country for that long alone....never, thats just me!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• 2 thoughts come to mind.

1) that is a HUGE gift they are giving so make sure to do something VERY VERY special for them while you are there.

2) make sure you have a medical release form that is notarized... so that if ANYthing happens to your children while in your parents care they have the authority to seek medical help for them.

... would love to know how old the boys are... what a neat experience. Do any of you speak the language?

Anonymous

• My boys are 4 and 6. Only the 6 year old is going for 2 months, and he wont be alone, he'll be with his grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins, and a ton of other family who are very excited to finally meet him.

We will be giving his grandparents legal guardianship over him for the time that he will be with them. I would love to go for the entire two months, but that's just not practical for me. I want my boys to know their family, and know their heritage, and to see other cultures and other parts of the world. Sending them with their grandparents is the only way I can make that happen for them at this moment.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• If you can afford to, go. Go.

Answer by louise2 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I would all go but I don't think I wold send a child that young. wait until they are about 8 or older. at 6 they will not remember much
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I would absolutely go to the wedding! I think it would be really hard for me to be away from my daughter for that long, but knowing that she would be with family that would be caring for her, I would hate for her to miss out on that opportunity.
    Anonymous

• hummm.... 6 seems very young for that long a time.

My kids go to hawaii for a week - 10 days with their grandparents as a 10th bday gift. They are very well adjusted, outgoing kids, but that length of time is about it for them. They are ready to come home after a week.

I think 2 months might be a bit too long for a 6 yr old.
    Anonymous

• This is actually just the first of many trips for my boys. I plan on sending one of them every year when their grandparents go. So this year my oldest is going for 2 months. Next year my youngest will go for two months. Then the next year my oldest, then my youngest, and so on. Since their grandparents go every year, I want to send them as often as possible. I could never send them both at the same time with out me, which is why they will be rotating. They may not remember much about this first trip, but when they are older, they will have plenty of memories about the time they spent over seas with their grandparents and family. And hopefully they will be fluent in Mandarin in a few years also.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Oh, and they already have a school picked out for him to attend while he is there. And my husband's aunt runs a school where she teaches kids English, and he will be helping out there as well. Its not going to be like a vacation, it's going to be more like him living there for 2 months. His grandparents have an apartment they keep over there and everything. I've talked to him a lot about this trip, and how long he's going to be gone for. He tells me frequently that he will miss me while he's away, but he is still VERY excited about going.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 2:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2010