How many years do temper tandrums last?

Asked by ROSE8301 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well, my sister stopped having them at about 5. That might be because she realized that if she threw one, she didn't get to go outside and play with the other kids in the neighborhood for 30 mins for each tantrum.

Answer by INmommyof1 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• sometimes into adulthood......sorry. Each child is different and how YOU deal with the child determines how long they will have them.

Answer by vbruno at 8:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• It depends on the child... my sister is 25 and still has a pretty bad temper. The best thing you can do is acknowledge the child's feelings (mad, sad, hurt, whatever) and help them COPE with those emotions. I learned how to deal with my feelings by watching my dad... he was very mild & lets things roll off his shoulders easily. My mom has a HORRIBLE temper & used to butt heads with my sister a lot, so that's why she's also that way. So good luck!

Answer by crazysocks830 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My husband is 40 and he still has them!! LOL Temper Tantrums seem to come to a slow end around 5 years old. If they are handled like Fran says on Nanny 911...ignore them and don't give in to what their demands are while they are screaming. Time outs are as common in my house as breathing. Hope that helps!

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• You mean they actually stop, around here screaming and throwing things seems to be the normal language. I've tried just about everything from time outs, spankings, ignoring them, and even fussing back with them cause I tend to loose my temper right along with them. I guess I'm not a very good roll model so when you find out what works let me know I sure need some help too!!!

Answer by dixiechic03 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2008