HCG level question

Hi all,

I found out I was pregnant yesterday after a year of trying (yeah!) and got bloodwork done. I was apparently 16dpo (or day 32) at the most, and my HCG level was 494 and progesterone was 30. I am concerned the HCG is a bit on the high side, as I've read about molar pregnancies due to high HCG levels. I'm okay with twins if that's the case though!

Oh, also, I gave myself the Ovidrel HCG injection on day 15 (January 2nd). Could this also be causing higher levels? I guess I need to go in for further bloodwork, but I'm starting to panic, and don't want to! :-)

Thanks for any advice!

Jen

jen2100

Asked by jen2100 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• This link may help you out
    http://www.fertilinet.com/hcg_%20levels_in_%20pregnancy.htm
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• First of all CONGRATS. it may be a bit high however high progestrone is more indictive of a twin or more pregnancy than the initial HCG levle. The key is to how your numbers trend, like what is your doubling rate etc. with in the 2 weeks the HCG present from the injection should not be a factor in your numbers but you never know. I cant remember what my progestrone levle was but I do remembrer it was high

I remember with my triplets my initial HCG was around 400 and that was at 12dpo and sky rocketed from there. my drs thought I was futher along than I was and sent me in for an U/S at 16dpo and we couldnt see anything other than 3 very very very small potential gestational sacks. 10 days later we had 2 well shaped sacks with fetal poles and a misshaped sac after a bleeding episode (I thought I was having a miscariage) we had a new ultrasound and found 3 heartbeats. They are now very healthy 4.5 years olds
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 1:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Your level is just fine. At 4 weeks LMP blook HCG levels should be 5 - 426 mIU/ml. When you get to 5 weeks LMP the blood hcg levels jump to 18 - 7,340 mIU/ml. Since were at day 32 that would mean you were going into week 5 and your level was just a little above what would be expected for 4 weeks.

Molar pregnancies are very rare. Unless you start bleeding and there is a concern about miscarriage there would be no reason to waste money doing more blood pregnancy tests.

I was an infertility patient and I know how emotional the first trimester is. Relax and enjoy your pregnancy. Don't worry about things that are very, very rare like molar pregnancies. There are things to worry about but that's not one of them. Sometimes people are so busy being concerned about something rare that they aren't prepared for something much more common.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Almost forgot, here is a great website:

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/duringpregnancy/hcglevels.html
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Thanks so MUCH ladies! Oh, and I'm so glad to be posting to the pregnancy group this time! :-)

Your answers have helped me reduce my anxiety, something that probably got in the way of conceiving! Ha! I will sit back, relax, and see what happens. I haven't had any bleeding, cramps, etc. Just a bit of gas and sore breasts! :-) The internet is so NOT a place someone who is naturally anxious should be using!

Triplets? Wow! The u/s on day 15 said I had only one follicle at a 21 (I used the lowest dose of Femara). The others were smaller. I guess another one could have crept up. Guess we'll see!

Thanks again!
    jen2100

Answer by jen2100 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2010