i was wondering i want to take my 11 1/2 month old babyboy off the formula and give him regular milk what is the best milk to give him because his dad doesnt want me to put him on cows milk so what can be the best

i want to take my 11 1/2 month old off his formula but i want to know whats the best choice to start him on

ricanmami09

Asked by ricanmami09 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Whole milk!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Whole milk he needs it. Why doesn't he want you to give him cows milk?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• ok but his dad doesnt want me to give him that is 1% or 2 % milk good for him
    ricanmami09

Answer by ricanmami09 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• There is goat milk. Rice milk and almond milk too. As long as he gets fat and protein from other sources cow milk or any milk other than breastmilk is not necessary.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• No he needs whole milk, the fat in the milk helps your childs brain development. Tell His dad he needs to do some research or go with you to the doctor and talk to him.

When your child is 3 or 4 you can swtch to 2% or 1% but whole milk doesnt affect children the same way it does adults so daddy needs to stop looking at it as "fattening" which I am guessing is what his thought is since he wants 1 or 2% instead.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Some pediatrician's will say only whole milk, some will say 2% is ok if there is high choloesterol in the family. Our current dr said it was ok to put my toddler on 2% or skim any time between 18 months and 2 years old because of our family history.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• i dont know really why but his dad drinks soy milk so i guess thats why and he thinks that soy milk is the best
    ricanmami09

Answer by ricanmami09 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• what's a 1/2 month. When he turns 1 he's suppose to get whole milk for a year and then it goes down to 2 or 1 percent. whole milk has all that fat that they need when they turn 1.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 2:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• You are suppose to start with Whole Milk it has more of what the baby needs. My daughter is 18 months and still on whole milk and she is healthy and isn't overweight or anything. Is there any reason why the Dad doesn't want you to give whole milk? Have him go with you to your babies 1 year appt so that he can hear for himself what is best for the baby. Good Luck!
    MommytoBe987

Answer by MommytoBe987 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• When he switches from formula it must be whole milk because at his age he needs the fat. If he doesn't want milk from a cow, milk from a goat works well, but it must be WHOLE milk. You will be endangering his health if you give him 2% or 1%.
    Anonymous