are public schools allowed to send you to collections for late or non payment of registration fees?

My husband has been cut down to three days a week at work. We have felt that it is a little more important that we FEED our children than to pay the school. we will pay them as soon as possible. but when i called to speak with one of the teachers today the receptionist threatened me with collections.

chaws14

Asked by chaws14 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have never heard of a public school that had a registration fee. Weird!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• As far as I know here if it takes you all year to pay for it then so be it the school waits, but they also have programs to take care of it for you if you really cant pay the fees. I know of people who have made payements during the year also. This is my first year dealing with it so I am not sure but it seems silly to send you to collections when your tax dollars are already paying for a large amount of the school budget anyhow.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• sleeping I never had before until I moved to Oregon, middle school and hih school have to pay lots of fees it is crazy, it cost me almost $200 at registration in september for my son! I was shocked. We are on a tight budget so I cant imagine how some people come up with the funds for this.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I don't see you they couldnt send it to collections. It is a bill that has to be paid..if they didn't send it to collections then they may be out alot of money. I would think they would work with you or set you up on a payment schedule. Collections should be a last resort for the school.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Wow! My son's school has a $60 materials fee. But it is not required that you pay it. My sister is a teacher there and said it goes to the teacher for any classroom expenses that come up during the year. She told me that this year only four of the kids paid it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I had never had registration fees either until we came to Utah- my daughetrs this year were like 230.00 and my sons were about 150.
    REDICULOUS...for my daughter we are on a payment plan because there was NO way I could give them that kind of money
    *as for them taking you to collections? ...I wouldn't think they could
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Yes schools can send you to collections and it can also cause your child to be held back in the grade for non payment of fees. Set up a payment plan with them because there are many diffrent things they can do!
    wantherout08

Answer by wantherout08 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Doesn't surprise me. I have an elderly friend who was in the hospital several times and is struggling to pay each account off. The person she dealt with told her that they were going to call the police and have her hauled to jail. I would call the principal, and if that didn't work call someone from the school board. At a minimum she needs to be reprimanded for being so callous.
    Anonymous

• i live in northren California and i have never had to pay anything other than buying the standard pencils,pens,paper and some extra if kids takes special class like art,computer,sports.....but have never payed any kinda of fee
    so for the school taking you to collections call the school board in your area and ask them
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• what is the registration fee for? is it for an after school program or something. I work in the school and I have never heard of registration fee. But I also know that public schools have funding set aside for students who cant pay things. Call and talk to the book keeper at the school and make arrangements or see what they will do.
    They cant keep the child back like the above person said, that is against the law. Most likely if you call they wont send it to collections.
    Anonymous