electric stove: coil or solid surface?

my landlady is offering us the option between these two. I'm looking for input from those with experience with one, or preferably both. pros? cons?
thanks in advance.

autodidact

Asked by autodidact at 2:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I really like the solid surface. So much easier to clean. I also like the extra space to use when I need extra furface. I don't have much to start out with.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I mean surface not furface.
    Raeann11

• I love my smooth top.So easy to clean.One boil over and you'll wish you had the smooth top.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• We have coil, and I have to keep cleaning the rims of the coil area and removing the coil so I can clean beneath it- it isn't hard to do, just needs to be done. My friend has a solid surface- spills don't drip down like they do with a coil surface, but you have to use flat bottom pans, and I hear it is a problem to keep the surface looking shiny.

Answer by Bmat at 2:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I have had both. I like the solid surface one. Easier to keep clean. When you are not using it as a sove top you can use it as a counter, put a cutting board on it to cut things, stuff like that.

Answer by louise2 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Go for the solid surface - much easier to clean.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:28 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• before you decided find out if you need special pots and pans for the solid surface stove.
    Anonymous

• I've had both and I truly did love the easy-clean of the solid surface - UNTIL my then-husband was holding a pot about 2 inches above it and it slipped in his hand (he didn't even completely drop it) and SHATTERED the stovetop! Later I dropped a tiny bottle of spice and it shattered LOTS more!! Since then I have heard horror stories about those things shattering at the littlest provocation - every time I tell people my story, they're like "oh yeah, those things break all the time, I had one and...)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 7:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Solid surface.  It is easier to clean and just looks a whole lot nicer.  I personally would never go back to a coil stove.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:27 AM on Jan. 21, 2010

• I really like my solid surface. Yes, there are some pans I can't use, but those are the ones I would use with a gas stove, they're not good with a coil burner either. I made seafood gumbo one time with a coil stove &, of course, it boiled over. It took me hours to clean up the mess since it spilled into the second surface. The solids have a rim that doesn't let average spills hit the ground = like.

I've never checked my regular pots & pans for which burner to use, I guess I didn't think it would be a problem. It hasn't been, for me. And, personally, I've dropped things, including shakers, spice jars & pans (I'm clumsy) onto the surface & never damaged it. Maybe I just have a good one. It's about 12 yrs old, though.

My only advice is to watch the burner size. It's a little switch on mine, just like the oven light. My kids LOVE to push the buttons & then I'm left wondering why my water won't boil.
    Mary0791

Answer by Mary0791 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2010