Teething and rice cereal questions

My son will be 4 months on the Feb 1st. My first question is, is it too early for him to be teething? He drools a lot, and is always wanting to chew on his hands. I think his gums are itching at the very least. Is there anything that I can do for him? My second question is, is it alright to give him a little bit of rice cereal at four months? Thats all. Thanks!

okgurl87

Asked by okgurl87 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, teething is normal at this age. Just give him things he can chew on and pick up some hylands teething tablets for if he gets into pain.

And 4 months is a bit young for solids and you can skip right past cereal. Try some fresh soft foods at 6 months... like avocado or banana.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for 6 months. Then babies can start regular food. For formula babies 4 months is the very earliest but you can wait until 6 months. There is no reason to feed cereal, jar food, puffs, or other baby food that is expensive, processed, and not that good for babies.

Babies don't need cereal as a first food. It was developed as a way to get iron in babies before they had iron in formula. Now they just keep it on the market. Babies can start on food that has more nutrition. Read the box of rice cereal, I didn't want to put that in my babies or grandbaby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I pretty much agree with the other answers as far as the cereal goes.
    You'd be better off waiting a couple more months (or even just a couple weeks if he is already showing all the signs of readiness, since some babies are actually ready a little sooner than others) and offering actual growm-up oatmeal with natural fruit puree in it if you intend to feed him. You can let him pick up chunks of baked sweet potato, banana, avocado or something that is less processed and expensive and has more nutritional value.
    It's not to soon for teething, it can start anytime, depending on the baby. One of mine had a couple teeth by the time she was 5 months, and the other had none until nearly 7 months
    Anonymous

• Yes and yes. It's a personal choice. If you're comfortable with the cereal then it's fine. If you're not too sure, always check with the ped. You're the mom, not us. :-)

Good Luck!
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Teething at 4 months normal? Yes! Ready to start cereal or other solids? NO! Not until at least 6 months. Why rush it when there are proven benefits to waiting?
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• For teething, I suggest Hylands teething tabs, frozen damp washcloths and lots of extra nursing (for comfort as much as nutrition).
    Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 7:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library