Could this be a milk allergy?

DD turned 1 last month and started on cow's milk right away. She's been on it for about 3 weeks now. Within the last week and a half, she's been acting like she has a lot of adominal pain and gas, and her movements have been nothing but soft yellow diarrhea. Nothing in her diet has changed whatsoever, except for the milk.

I figured if it was the milk, it would have started affecting her right away, not take a week and a half to two weeks?

I just don't know what else it could be. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like she may be lactose intolerant.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Stop giving her the milk and see what happens. You can either try just giving her no milk to drink or eliminate all milk products. It may take a couple of weeks to tell. Toddlers don't need to drink milk and it can cause a variety of digestive problems. It may be she is lactose intollerant.

It sucks to be allergic to milk or to have severe lactose intollerance. If you can keep her from having problems now she may 'grow out of' milk problems and be able to eat things like cheese and ice cream.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• I'd go off it for a month or 2. Then try again. If the problem goes away, you'll know it's the milk. It doesn't necesarily mean she's allergic though, it could just be a slight intolerance. My dd had a problem when we switched her to milk as well (acid reflux, lots of spit up). We did soy for a month then tried milk, then soy for a month. I think we did that for 3 months. She can now tolerate milk and any dairy, BUT if she has too much her acid reflux acts up again.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 2:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Thanks ladies! Much appreciated. I am going to take her off of it for a while. I hope that does the trick, because the poor thing is miserable! :(
    Anonymous

• I'm lactose intolerant myself...and I can tell you that if it is a milk issue, the pains from the gas are insane. Talk to your pedi about the possibility of using Lactaid it's a pill that you can take to help digest the lactose. My goddaughter also has this problem, and we crush about a half tablet into her food, and it seems to help her wonders, she's 2 btw. I use it myself for things like indulging on ice cream every once in awhile lol.
    Good Luck!
    frogger11

Answer by frogger11 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• Eliminate dairy for a month (it takes this long to completely get out of the body).

Answer by rkoloms at 7:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2010