Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


I've been married for 10 years and my husband left me and our 3 daughters. He lives with another woman in California and they have 3 kids and he also has 3 other kids during the time of our marrage with other woman. He is broke and needs money. He told me that he can take me to court and take 1/3 of my salery and get support. Can he make me support him when he hasnt supportee me or my children in 9 years? I dont receive child support. Ive been taking care of myself for 20 years and I only make 40 thousand dollars a year.


Asked by lillbuz at 2:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • He moved out it is called spousal abandonment. when a person has severed ties with and failed to provide support to the other related person for such length of time to find that the familial relationship ceases to exist legally, in order to pursue criminal charges, annulment, divorce, adoption, or emancipation. In fault divorce states, a party guilty of abandonment may be found at fault, constituting grounds for a divorce, which may be a factor in property division, support, and custody issues. However, merely moving out of a marital home, particularly to a nearby location, does not constitute a fault ground of abandonment. Statutes don't necessarily provide a time period to define abandonment, but often base the finding of abandonment on evidence of an intention not to return.

    Contact a lawyer soon.

    Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • Well if you have 3 young children, I don't see any judge making you pay him. Good Luck, and GOOD RIDDANCE. :-)


    Answer by LyTe684 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • Not unless he had full custody of the kids.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • Divorce the loser!

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • you need to contact a divorce attny. asap.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • LOL! He's not even paying child support, yet he thinks YOU will have to pay spousal support!! What a loser! Get a divorce and get on with your life.

    Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • File for divorce in your state ASAP. If he is broke, he will have a hard time getting back there for court appearances anyway. Tell him you will go after him for child support as well.

    Answer by mancosmomma at 2:47 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • He may actually be entitled to spousal support. Ridiculous, I know...Contact an attorney. Even if you can't afford one, most attorneys will still give you a free consultation.

    Answer by TattooedMommy04 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • 1. If you are divorced already, he cannot take you back to court to get alimony that he already declined. If you aren't divorced, you will need to check with an attorney.

    2. Not sure where he believes he can get a 1/3 of your salary AND child support for children that he has zero custody of.

    3. Get an attorney, and plenty will work pro bono, just take the time to find one or contact a woman's advocacy group.

    Answer by urkiddingright at 2:54 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

  • get a divorce where you live asap because california is a 50/50 state so if he files there first yes he can get you to pay as long as you made more money then him while you where i know but that how it works get your divorce where you live quick

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2010